The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I think I have just learned my first really painful lesson in game management and communication skills. Championship game of this men's church league. Our association uses this league as a development league for young officials. The level of play isn't too bad, and the temperment of the players is exactly what you'd expect from a church league.

We were warned going in that there are been quite a bit of non-basketball action in the previous games. So we're calling it pretty tight and closing hard on anything that looks like it could escalate. Team B is falling behind and is down by about 30 by the fourth quarter. They're also whining and questioning every call. After an obvious block by B, the whining finally gets to me and in response to yet another "question" I let him get under my skin and tell him to shut up.

Argh! To that point, we had a well controlled, well officiated game going. After that, the wheels came off. I hadn't even gotten to the table to report before I've got a T on one of B's teammates who wants a piece of me. Not a minute goes by before my partner has another T on B. And it's only because I realize that my unprofessional behavior started this firestorm that I don't re-T the first guy and send him home.

The evaluators were kind enough to point out that this is the place to make mistakes like this. And that they had all done that once. But they were obviously disappointed as well. Sigh. Oh well, at least I'm pretty sure I won't say that again.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The evaluators were kind enough to point out that this is the place to make mistakes like this. And that they had all done that once. But they were obviously disappointed as well. Sigh. Oh well, at least I'm pretty sure I won't say that again. [/B]
Bottom line, you are a beter official because you learn a great communication skill. The evaluators also understand you will be a better official.

Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
It happens

Don't sweat it. It's a lesson learned, a lesson that you'll remember.

Now, the next lesson will have to be to never do church leagues...
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Before I comment realize that we aren't as big an association as most of you belong to. We have 40 +/- in our assoaciation. We do, however, strongly discourage our younger officials from working a adult rec, church or whatever league games. We don't feel it is a good place to develop, it is more of a place that will cause newer guys to find something else to do, specifically because of what happened to BITS.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, BITS, just so you know you're not alone. Here's my story from yesterday. College game, good game, kind of sloppy, both teams aggressive. End of the first half, A1 shoots and misses. B1 rebounds, turns and throws a full-court pass, intended for B2. B2 and A2 jump together, but the horn sounds before the ball arrives. After the horn, A2 pulls down on B2's arms, still trying to prevent the catch. As they both return to the ground, B2 "flings" (for lack of a better word) A2 off of him and A2 falls to the ground.

Now all this happens after the horn, so the ball is dead. I judge that the actions of both players are neither flagrant, nor severe enough to be intentional. So I have no whistle.

I knew Coach A would want to talk about it. Sure enough, Coach A comes onto the floor immediately. "You gonna stand there and watch that? Put a whistle on that!"

I responded calmly, "Coach, your player started the whole thing. Your player instigated the contact".

Unfortunately, each time I said "your", I pointed right at the coach. I was pointing to indicate that it was "his" player; but I can only imagine how it looked to an observer. I'm sure it appeared overly aggressive on my part. The coach did not make an issue of it, but I see that as bad communication technique.

I didn't tell him to shut up, but I'm still working on the same stuff you are, BITS. Keep your chin up.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Among the most precious gifts from my years spent officiating City League Ball is a thick skin that would be the envy of any rhino.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Among the most precious gifts from my years spent officiating City League Ball is a thick skin that would be the envy of any rhino.
Love the metaphor!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2004, 12:26am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I think I have just learned my first really painful lesson in game management and communication skills. Championship game of this men's church league. Our association uses this league as a development league for young officials. The level of play isn't too bad, and the temperment of the players is exactly what you'd expect from a church league.

We were warned going in that there are been quite a bit of non-basketball action in the previous games. So we're calling it pretty tight and closing hard on anything that looks like it could escalate. Team B is falling behind and is down by about 30 by the fourth quarter. They're also whining and questioning every call. After an obvious block by B, the whining finally gets to me and in response to yet another "question" I let him get under my skin and tell him to shut up.

Argh! To that point, we had a well controlled, well officiated game going. After that, the wheels came off. I hadn't even gotten to the table to report before I've got a T on one of B's teammates who wants a piece of me. Not a minute goes by before my partner has another T on B. And it's only because I realize that my unprofessional behavior started this firestorm that I don't re-T the first guy and send him home.

The evaluators were kind enough to point out that this is the place to make mistakes like this. And that they had all done that once. But they were obviously disappointed as well. Sigh. Oh well, at least I'm pretty sure I won't say that again.
BITS--welcome to officiating. Like the others said, we have all done it and this WAS a good place to learn the lesson. Stick the lesson into your bag of tricks and never let it happen again. You havae to remember to keep your composure, no matter what happens on the court.

Keep your head up. Kelly, et al will notice your improvement.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019