The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 07:40am
Huck Finn

What are some of your Highs and Lows this season?

High - Handled the "business" in front of a college evaluator.

Low - Worked a high school game in which I know one of my partners did not handle the "business" and I know the visiting team got a raw deal. He even had an inadvertant whistle from the C on his side of the court while I was the L. During a timeout he said he was sorry and he knew it was right in front of me. What? Huh? What happened was he saw a possible block/charge and froze. You should have heard is whistle, a two-month old could have put more air in the whistle! Oh yeah, it was my first time working with him and I later learned this was normal behavior from this official.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

HiLo

High-After finishing two very competitive games (10th,JV) was completely exhausted. I run a lot and hot several trip that required a Cheatah like burst to stay ahead of the play. Coach comes into office while I am still catching my breath. I say, "I left it all on the court for you tonight." He says, "I know. I wish my guys could hustle like you do.".

Lo-Older official gets into argument with coach in Jr. High game. Starts yelling at him that "You never played the game...You don't know nothin. Coming in here telling me this and that"". Starts cussing...I am thinking, what kind of hell am I in. This is first quarter of first of three games.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Hi. After a Boys Varsity, my partner and I run into the losing coach on the way out. He says that was the best officiated game he had seen all year.

Lo. Three days later, I'm in the same gym to do a Girls Varsity game. The home coach is not happy with the officiating. I hear him say, "That's the worst officiating I have seen in 34 years of coaching."

Interesting contrast.

BTW, those are not my real highs and lows. I don't take the coaches' comments as my basis for my ability to ref.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

High- first year of officiating and all the big wigs in town tell me, "I don't think I was that good after my first year." Compliment me on my game and hustle.

Low- first officiating camp (I have a broken bone in my foot and a damaged nerve. Hurt like h3ll) I continued to run on it because I wanted the feedback. Everyone scores me high on hustle. One highly regarded official notices and said that hustle was poor and he'd have me working freshman girls for the next two years if he was assigning.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2004, 05:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Low--I traveled really far to do this game. I had a Girl's game in the morning and a Boy's game in the evening. I did Girl's game was in an empty gym that was cold. Then my Boy's game was cancelled because of snow. I only agreed to do this Girl's game because I had the Boy's game later that evening. A wasted trip.

And to make it worse, I got paid $45 for two games. The pay of the girl's contest.

High--I had an 83-80 back and forth game while using the Precision Timing System. Great atmosphere, great plays and a huge shot to win the game at the end by the star point guard with a defender hanging all over him. It was my call on the last second shot. Great moment.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hi - Getting to work school ball. It's my first year and I had a TON of really good experiences. I learned a lot from some of my partners. One of my favorite things was telling my partners, after the game, that I'm a first year official and watching the look of disbelief

Lo - Men's rec league.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
High -- Really fabulous Christmas tournament game, undoubtedly the highest level game I've done to date, and I did a terrific job.

2nd best high -- very positive feedback last night from a college evaluator. Feeling no pain today!

Low -- really ugly frosh girls game -- 50 point blow-out, 60 fouls, 937 oob's, 643 held balls, and coach screaming about everything for the entire 2-1/2 hour game. Then had to stay and do JV after that. Ugh!
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 08:56pm
Huck Finn

I just found out I have a game tomorrow with the guy I was talking about in the first post. WOW! Just what I need.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

High, Middle and Low

High - Officiating school ball for the first time, which included a Girl's Varsity game.

Middle - Officiating Rec ball: two nights ago had to be 7/8 year olds, really tough

Low - Leg injury, placing me on the shelf for a month: No Reffing at ALL, a definite LOW!!!!!!

Waiting for AAU now.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lo - read this forum every day. LOL just kidding!!!!!

Lo - had to call a T on an a$$'t (try to filter that, vBulletin) becuase I said to myself "I'll talk to her at the quarter time." Which was about 60 seconds away. Sure enough, she earned one 20 seconds later. Thing is, I've T'd her every year for the past 3 seasons. All legit too. It just bugs me this pattern that is developing.

Hi - worked as the HL in the Sr. provincial final and the R in the county HS final.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Hi-My best game of the season, a Major Bantom boys game, that went into double overtime. Me and my partner had flawless communication, and nailed almost every call.

Low-some of the coaches i've had to deal with.