The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
During a HS game tonight I gave a T for delay on a throw-in.

Close game, about a minute left, B down by 3 after just scoring. Quick timeout for B. Teams set up, I tell A1 he has the line and I tell B1 not to reach over the line. B1's hopping up & down, up & down, up & down & over the end line & right in front of A1. Damn. Tweet, first warning for delay. Play continues, about 20 seconds left got an OOB by B in B's front court sideline, I tell A1 to stay on the spot, I tell B1 to not reach over the line (yes, same B1), B1's hopping up & down, up & down, up & down & over the end line & right in front of A1. Damn. Tweet, gimme a shooter coach, you got 2 coming.

I hate that, wrecked a good end of a good game.

Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

What level of HS?

Unfortunately, some players are prone to do the wrong thing at the right time. It appears that you did as much "preventative officiating" as you could have in this situation w/o appearing to be coaching the player.

This is REALLY disappointing if it is Varsity level.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

We've been "formally" warning on these two items, 1) reaching over inbounds line on throw-in, and 2) delay of game after made baskets (knocking the ball away).

Tweet. Tell coach. Ask scorekeeper to "note it in the book" the warning. T comes next.

Only one time this year did it NOT stop and the T was given.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Thumbs up Re: What level of HS?

Quote:
Originally posted by One-Whistle
Unfortunately, some players are prone to do the wrong thing at the right time. It appears that you did as much "preventative officiating" as you could have in this situation w/o appearing to be coaching the player.

This is REALLY disappointing if it is Varsity level.
Good catch!

JV
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
D.O.G.

I did the same thing Fri night, on a V game (girls). What I don't get is what the heck part of "don't-reach-over-the-frikin-line" don't they understand? EVERY time there's D on the inbounder I say "don't reach thru the plane" give the kid the ball, and so on. So here we are, B1 waving the arms and actually manages to let the feet sneak over too. I blow, report W, explain quickly to puzzle-faced player "stay straight up-don't reach thru there's a wall there", give ball back to inbounder. By golly if she doesn't reach over again - and gives me puzzle face again. I look up at her own coach and he's helping me out by signaling "T" himself.

Look kid, don't even stick the tip of your nose over the line, dadgummit. (I didn't use those exact words).

Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

You said not to put your nose through the boundry plane...
What if she was "blessed" and that part of her anatomy happened to "stick out" over the boundry plane? Just wondering.. It's still -30 here and I don't have much else to do. Just a note to keep you from going crazy, in basketball and everyday life, you can't do anything to regulate stupidity.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
You said not to put your nose through the boundry plane...
What if she was "blessed" and that part of her anatomy happened to "stick out" over the boundry plane?
First off, it's a good thing you said it was her nose!

As to the nose - doesn't matter - she needs to take another step back. Any part of the body over the plane is a violation.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
:)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

As to the nose - doesn't matter - she needs to take another step back. Any part of the body over the plane is a violation. [/B]

THAT IS EXACTLY MY POINT, AS ANAL AS IT MAY SOUND TO THEM.