The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Unhappy

What a horrible Saturday. It would make any decent referee want to quit on the spot (oh yeah, that bad).

As some of you know, I'm 16 year old and I officiate in a jrW/NBA league here in North Carolina. The league runs from ages 5-15; my schedule is as follows:

2 - 11-13 Girls Games
2 - 11-12 Boys Games
2 - 13-15 Boys Games

I officiate in that order. The girls games are usuall uneventful...sloppy play, but they ENJOY just playing. I have rarely seen an attitude. I've been having a pre-game with the coaches, in which I go over general stuff, etc.

We get into an 11-12 boys game, and roughly mid-way between third quarter something happens during a dead ball and one player goes "S--t!" really loudly. I call the technical and move on, no big deal.

Ah, now the 13-15 boys. These kids have poor, poor attitudes. I call the coaches together and the captains and go over everything in one swing. I remind them of the stepping over free throw line while shooting a free throw, can't cross plane on a throw in, etc. Then I get to the part about sportsmanship. I tell them that poor sportsmanship of ANY kind will not be tolerated. That includes, but is not limited to, spiking the ball, swearing, disrespectfully addressing an official, etc.

Early on, I've got two travels on this one particular kid (from the gold team). He gets all puffy (he is the big center). He's dribbling the ball down in his back court, and while I am lead watching the play (I was back peddling), he gets the ball stolen from him, then complains of a foul. I shake my head and move on. The player that stole the ball then hits a layup, in which #15 (the center) spikes the ball. TWEET! Technical #2 for the day.

Keep in mind, the coaches for that one team had been houding us all game about stuff (see: over the back *shudder*, three seconds, etc.) I'll be the first to admit, play was rough - my partner was a substitute and has never officiated before, so there wasn't a WHOLE lot of support there. He did good, but I felt like all the weight was on me. Anyway, the gold coach calls a timeout, then proceeds to center court whilst I stand at the table, complaining about how "you can't go over the back, you can't do this, you're not calling this, blah blah." I look at him and say "I'm not telling you how to coach your team, you're not going to tell me how to referee." I turn to walk away and he goes "I'll tell you how to referee." I look at my assignor who happened to be there and she just said "Do it." (I was going to anyway). TWEET! Technical #3 for the day.

Opposing team shoots shots, and I put the ball into play. Not five seconds into it, I have a kid from the team that had their coach T'd just walk up and give a two-handed push. TWEET - Intentional foul #1.

Shoot the shots, put the ball into play at POI, and not five seconds later, I've got the same thing. TWEET! Intentional #2 for the day.

We finish the game on a sour note (just one more game to go!)

We begin the next game with a conference like before and I HEAVILY elaborate on sportsmanship. This game was terribly rough too, but it felt like I was by myself the whole time. On a time out, I tell both coaches to let their team know we are going to tighten it up before it gets too rough.

I guess somewhere around the third quarter or so, partner and I have a double-whistle for a double dribble on Black #5. Frusterated player slams the ball down. Coach says to the player "That was all you, you knew not to do that." TWEET! Technical #4 for the day.

We shoot shots, get ball into play, play a rough quarter. Fourth quarter begins, we play and about midway, a breakaway occurs. I'm trail official, and parter as lead has a foul on the layup (which goes on). Parter goes to report, and Black #1 (the one who fouled) turns around and says "This is bulls--t!" TWEET - Technical #5 for the day.

My assignor was present for all of these, and completely stands behind our calling. I feel like we did a good job, I just hate that it happened like this - it NEVER should have gotten that rough. I mean, I called five technical fouls and two intentional fouls by myself. My regular partner was out of town, so he filled in. I think part of it was a) he is brand new, b) he doesn't know how to react to different situations, and c) we just didn't click as an officiating team. He's a great guy, and I know him really well, but we just don't work well together.

It was a horrible day. In that last game, red lost by one point in the last 30 seconds - they had yet to win a game, and were very close to doing so. It's just too bad.

I can't wait to see what it's going to be like next week!

[Edited by TXMATTHEW05 on Jan 31st, 2004 at 06:39 PM]
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 08:06pm
In Memoriam

Matthew, quit second-guessing yourself. Just react to what the players are doing, and don't think so much. If the players don't want to concentrate on playing ball, then all you can do is call what you can, and keep 'em under control. When you're done, just forget about the game- unless there was something that happened in it that you might learn from. You can never do a "great" job in a horrible game. You just do the best that you can, and then forget about it.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

You are truely a great value to the game

Don't forget why you are there. Sometimes you will have these days. You know you are doing it right, but at the end of the day, you feel "dirty".

Tomorrow's another day. People that call these leagues add a lot of value to the game of basketball and to everyone involved. Keep it up.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

TXMATTHEW05

We all have days like this...

One bit of advice that I will offer: It appears that you are trying to accept responsibility for the actions of all the people under your authority. That approach WILL drive you nuts. Acccept the reality that these people will do what they are going to do DESPITE your best effort at preventative officiating. Gleen from the experience the "LESSONS LEARNED" and then move on.

Best wishes in your next outing!
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 09:02pm
In Memoriam

Great post !

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
What a horrible Saturday. It would make any decent referee want to quit on the spot (oh yeah, that bad).

TXMATTHEW05,
Buddy, after reading your post I am too pooped to participate.
Hang in. Hold on. ...And quit back pedaling.
mick
Old Sat Jan 31, 2004, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Matthew, We all have our games, where we walk away feeling dirty. The better official you are, the less this happens. But, It does still happen. When I have a bad game, I don't beat myself up, I review, and critique myself. I ask myself, what could I have done different, that would have made the game better. There is always something you can learn, especially from games like the ones you had. Turn this around for the positive. Its all part of learning. We all have been there, done that. The good officials learn from it.
Keep up the good work, some day you will be on TV.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Thanks y'all for your replies. It was just a REALLY rough day...I had never had a day like that before. I had not ONE single friend in that gym other than my partner, my assignor, scorer and the gym supervisor. We got out of there so fast it was unreal - and then for a second I thought I had left my cell phone!

I have the same teams next week, but with my usual partner. That makes me feel a bit better, but I'm still somewhat not looking forward to it. My assignor said she's going to put out a memo - one technical, you're out of the game. She said it's getting way too bad out there.

You know, though...nobody from either side liked me...maybe that means I really WAS doing a good job...
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:

As some of you know, I'm 16 year old and I officiate in a jrW/NBA league here in North Carolina. The league runs from ages 5-15; my schedule is as follows:

2 - 11-13 Girls Games
2 - 11-12 Boys Games
2 - 13-15 Boys Games

I officiate in that order. The girls games are usuall uneventful...sloppy play, but they ENJOY just playing. I have rarely seen an attitude. I've been having a pre-game with the coaches, in which I go over general stuff, etc.

[Edited by TXMATTHEW05 on Jan 31st, 2004 at 06:39 PM]
That's why I like coaching girls !

btw, it sounds to me like you did everything right. Keep it up! Maybe some of the crazies will settle down a little bit if they weren't allowed such lattitude by weaker officials.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

It happens at all levels.

Here's a quote from a local newspaper -- I know the officials involved:

"The three officials quickly raced off the court to a chorus of boos and irate DHS fans. The Maroons benefited from some questionable officiating in the final stages of the game."

Figure out what (if anything) you could have done differently, and work on that. Sometimes, the games are rough -- it makes the "good" games that much more enjoyable.

Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Hang in there, days like this will happen. As for next week - it will either be the same, or better, or worse, won't it? Just show up & take it as it comes.

BTW, listen to Mick & stop back pedalling.

Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I got the "no back peddling" - but why? I'm not being smart, I'm just curious as to why that's not to be done.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 07:35pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Okay, I got the "no back peddling" - but why? I'm not being smart, I'm just curious as to why that's not to be done.
It's bad for the achilles.
It prevents accidents.
It looks stoopid !

If you can run backward quite well, then you can run forward even better while looking over you inside shoulder at the action. Be a big-timer, Big guy!

Catch a Men's game, and do what they do.

Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Back peddling is bad mechanics. Sooner or later you will fall or run in to someone. The proper mechanic is to look back over the shoulder. You never know when someone, who can help you move up, is watching.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Backpedal

I played free safety in college, so backpedalling came pretty naturally to me! I used it all the time. Then I got evaluated. They ripped me for it and said the same thing, run forward and look back.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2004, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Matthew--

My podiatrist says back-pedalling is very bad for your feet.

About the games, if your assignor thinks you did fine, and if she's going to talk to the rec board about the roughness, I'd say you did great! You can't get any higher praise than that! So, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll move past it pretty soon.