The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Number of games (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11991-number-games.html)

Jay R Sat Jan 31, 2004 06:22pm

What do you guys and girls feel is the optimum number of games to do in a week?

I have just finished doing 8 games in four days. 2 JV, 5 Varsity and one college. I plan to spend tomorrow unwinding and recuperating my sore joints. I find that it is not as much the physical toll as much as the mental aspect, trying to be on top of your game when you are doing two a night over a stretch.

Your thoughts.

mick Sat Jan 31, 2004 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay R

[snip]

Your thoughts.

Two games

Rich Sat Jan 31, 2004 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

[snip]

Your thoughts.

Two games

Three, for me. This season I've worked nothing but varsity HS and I am probably not going to exceed 30 games for the season (I had to replace myself in 6-8 games also because of my job). More than enough for me.

Rich

mick Sat Jan 31, 2004 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

[snip]

Your thoughts.

Two games

Three, for me. This season I've worked nothing but varsity HS and I am probably not going to exceed 30 games for the season (I had to replace myself in 6-8 games also because of my job). More than enough for me.

Rich

Yeah, Rich,
Three a weeks makes sense to me for the single season. But starting in the last week of August and going a coupla weeks in March is a long time, requires a lot of love for the game, and not much love for anything else.

mick

Damian Sat Jan 31, 2004 08:02pm

Depends on the level of play

I can see Jay R's post of a combo varsity, JV and college. I call all levels (not yet college), so 10-15 games in a week is not uncommon.

I do about 100/yr during regular season and add more for club, AAU, other leagues.

I'm 51 and still move pretty well. Doing this many games keeps me going. But, I am pretty worn out by Sunday. My hardest games are when I have 2 games (10th grade and JV). I don't have much left at the end of the evening.

If I was doing just Varsity, it would be impossible to get that many.

ref18 Sat Jan 31, 2004 08:03pm

I just got off the phone with my assignor, and he gave me 34 games over the next two weeks.

Its gonna be a long two weeks. :D

PS2Man Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:00pm

Quote:

I have just finished doing 8 games in four days. 2 JV, 5 Varsity and one college. I plan to spend tomorrow unwinding and recuperating my sore joints. I find that it is not as much the physical toll as much as the mental aspect, trying to be on top of your game when you are doing two a night over a stretch.

Your thoughts.

I usually only do 3 dates in a week. Sometimes more but not that often. What that means is I might have some nights where I do a JV/Varsity double header. Usually 3 of those is enough. If I am working only one game a night, I can work about 4 of those. I do football and baseball and if I do much more than that, I will hit a wall sometime in February. The physical issue is not as much a problem, but the mental sharpness or concentration can be affected if I do too many games than that.

dblref Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:39am

Just got my schedule for the remainder of the season this past Friday. Actually, starting this past Friday, my schedule through 2/19 shows 36 games -- including rec games. It is a mixture of F/JV/V, some clocks, and a couple of days of MS boys. I guess you can call it a "varied schedule".

Had 2 B-18 rec games last night and my partner told me those 2 games made a total of 9 games for him that day. In addition, he would be starting today's games at 7:00 am. I think he has a couple of screws loose to be doing that many games - he is 54. I'm 60, and I might do a 3-game set on either Sat. or Sun., but I won't do this on both days. I like to officiate as much as anyone, but enough is enough.

JugglingReferee Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
I just got off the phone with my assignor, and he gave me 34 games over the next two weeks.

Our record here in KW is 42 in 2 weeks. :)

ref18 Sun Feb 01, 2004 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Originally posted by ref18

Our record here in KW is 42 in 2 weeks. :)

I wonder how that guy could walk after all that?? :D