The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Ball: Possession Arrow vs. Actual Jump Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11984-jump-ball-possession-arrow-vs-actual-jump-ball.html)

KingTripleJump Sat Jan 31, 2004 02:57am

I know Dick Vitale argues about this all the time--how in college they should get rid of the arrow and go with the actual jump ball.

Would you be in favor of this at the high school level?

Just thinking/typing out loud...

Tweets Sat Jan 31, 2004 07:27am

JB vs AP

I think they should leave HS AP as it is. Sometimes at the high school level, more often on frosh/jv, I've seen tree and stump going at it for the tip-off. There's some teams out there with the height of a wide-open prarie and what can they do, its really no big deal in the long run to lose the tip-off, but to have to go up against the redwood and lose everytime? Hmmm. And how bout those frosh/jv's where there's more ap's than shot attempts. I say yyuk.

TriggerMN Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:42am

Gotta keep it for high school, especially girls. In some games, you can have as many as 10 held balls. All those actual jumps just slow the game down even more.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jan 31, 2004 02:37pm

Alternating possession is an abomination upon the game of basketball.

TriggerMN Sat Jan 31, 2004 03:47pm

So is the fact that they widened the lane because of one player...oh wait, that worked.

So is instant replay...oh wait, that worked.

So is the shot clock...oh wait, that worked.

You want to talk a real abomination of the game, Iowa starts each girls game not with a jump ball, but with a coin flip. With no arrow, you'd be flipping a coin a bunch of times each game.

dblref Sat Jan 31, 2004 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
10-15-20 held ball situations, and having a jump ball for each one is more of an abomination, IMHO.

zebraman Sat Jan 31, 2004 04:02pm

Quote:

How so? What don't you like about AP? I never liked jump balls much as a player nor as an official. If we jumped every quarter, the team with a giraffe would theoretically get four more possessions per game than the team with no giraffe.

An evaluator at a recent state tournament told me that of the 8 jump balls to start the games, 6 of the jumps were illegally "stolen" by a jumper. None were called. How many bad tosses would we be injecting into a girls game if we jumped each quarter plus each held ball. No thanks!

Z

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 31, 2004 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

10-15-20 held ball situations, and having a jump ball for each one is more of an abomination, IMHO.

I worked a pile of games before the AP rule came in, where we had to jump every held ball. I shudder to think of the NFHS or NCAA ever reverting to that rule.

Bart Tyson Sat Jan 31, 2004 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally posted by KingTripleJump
I know Dick Vitale argues about this all the time--how in college they should get rid of the arrow and go with the actual jump ball.

I don't think Dick V, wants to have them jump, he wants to give the ball to the def. team.

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 31, 2004 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:

Originally posted by KingTripleJump

I don't think Dick V, wants to have them jump, he wants to give the ball to the def. team.

That was the the rule on a 5-second closely guarded call at one time. Defense got the ball for a throw-in.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 01, 2004 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

[BI don't think Dick V, wants to have them jump, he wants to give the ball to the def. team.
That was the the rule on a 5-second closely guarded call at one time. Defense got the ball for a throw-in. [/B]
And the rule now is ...? ;)

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 01, 2004 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Quote:

[BI don't think Dick V, wants to have them jump, he wants to give the ball to the def. team.
That was the the rule on a 5-second closely guarded call at one time. Defense got the ball for a throw-in.

[/B]
Oh my!

Can't believe that I typed that. :D

Dan_ref Sun Feb 01, 2004 03:10pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Quote:

Oh my!

Can't believe that I typed that. :D [/B]
You hitting the "superbowl punch" a little early? :)

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 01, 2004 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
You hitting the "superbowl punch" a little early?

[/B][/QUOTE]Geeze, that brought you out from under your log in a hurry, didn't it? Yup, kick poor ol' totterin',dodderin' Woody when he's down is the name of the game, isn't it?

May Woody the Deuce lift a leg on you while you're sleeping tonight!

Dan_ref Sun Feb 01, 2004 04:06pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
You hitting the "superbowl punch" a little early?

[/B]
Geeze, that brought you out from under your log in a hurry, didn't it? Yup, kick poor ol' totterin',dodderin' Woody when he's down is the name of the game, isn't it?

May Woody the Deuce lift a leg on you while you're sleeping tonight! [/B][/QUOTE]

Same to you buddy

http://www.goletavalleydogclub.org/i...laptop-pee.jpg