The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Missing Free Thrower (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11977-missing-free-thrower.html)

Jim Armstrong Fri Jan 30, 2004 02:25pm

Girls Varsity game last Tuesday, I call a foul at lead,
go to report, then take my position opposite table for
the free throws, players are on the lane, and partner has the ball, and is standing in the lane, but there is no
free thrower in the cirlce, she is standing over by the sideline, getting instructions from the coach. According to the case book, if the free thrower is not in the semi-circle when the official is ready to administer the free throw, this should be a Tech. on the player. Has anyone on here ever T'd a player for this? I walked over, and quickly broke up the conversation, and got her in the circle. What are your thoughts about this?

zebraman Fri Jan 30, 2004 02:44pm

I have never T'd anyone for this. I have done what you did (go break up the tea party). Then I inform the coach next chance I get, "by the exact letter of the rulebook, that could have been a T so please don't do that anymore."

Z

davidw Fri Jan 30, 2004 02:45pm

I've never had a situation that blatant.

What I usually do if I am the off official is to make sure I get the shooter--when we have a shooting foul--and start to get everyone lined up, which includes the shooter. It's part of that 'preventative offficiating thing'--which, I might add is also covered in pre-game conference with partner.

To answer the question, No, I have never T'd a player for this.

The closest I've had anyone in violation of this rule is them being just outside the semi-circle and had to prompt them to come to the line.

Not a good T, IMO, so you do all the preventative stuff you can.

[Edited by davidw on Jan 30th, 2004 at 01:48 PM]

MN 3 Sport Ref Fri Jan 30, 2004 02:48pm

Break up the Tea party and remind the coach he gets no seconds on tea and crumpets:D

Damian Fri Jan 30, 2004 03:05pm

Had a simlar problem with everyone but the shooter

The coach pulled everyone over except the shooter for a stratgy session. We are ready to go. I asked the coach if he wanted a timeout.

On the shooter, there is a rule that if you are ready you can place the ball at the disposal of the shooter. When she enters the circle its an immediate lane violation. I wouldn't die on that hill either.

cmathews Fri Jan 30, 2004 03:10pm

Re: Had a simlar problem with everyone but the shooter

Quote:

Originally posted by Damian
The coach pulled everyone over except the shooter for a stratgy session. We are ready to go. I asked the coach if he wanted a timeout.

I wouldn't even approach the coach at this point, they aren't required to have anyone but the shooter involved.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 30, 2004 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Damian

On the shooter, there is a rule that if you are ready you can place the ball at the disposal of the shooter. When she enters the circle its an immediate lane violation. I wouldn't die on that hill either.

The rule that you are referring to only applies to the "resumption of play" procedure after a TO or intermission. It's not applicable to the sitch descibed above.In the sitch posted above, if you're gonna call anything, a T is your only option. Casebook play 10.3.6.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 30, 2004 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Armstrong
Girls Varsity game last Tuesday, I call a foul at lead,
go to report, then take my position opposite table for
the free throws, players are on the lane, and partner has the ball, and is standing in the lane, but there is no
free thrower in the cirlce, she is standing over by the sideline, getting instructions from the coach. According to the case book, if the free thrower is not in the semi-circle when the official is ready to administer the free throw, this should be a Tech. on the player. Has anyone on here ever T'd a player for this? I walked over, and quickly broke up the conversation, and got her in the circle. What are your thoughts about this?

Over the years, I have been involved in two situations like this.

The first one was a boys' H.S. jr. varsity game back in the days when the T administered the first free throw. I was the L and we were ready to shoot the free throws. The shooter was chatting with the coach, and the coach wouldn't let him come to the line until he was done talking with the shooter. Coach received a technical foul from my partner for delay of game.

The second one was in a boys' H.S. varsity game and still in the times when the T administered the first free throw. I was the T and had just received the ball from the L. I turned to give the ball to the shooter. I told him two free throws, and before I could hand him the ball, he decided to turn from me, walk out of the free throw circle, and have a chat with a teammate. The player received a technical foul from me for delay of game.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 30, 2004 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
[/B]
I was the L and we were ready to shoot the free throws. The shooter was chatting with the coach, and the coach wouldn't let him come to the line until he was done talking with the shooter. Coach received a technical foul from my partner for delay of game.

[/B][/QUOTE]Why did your partner T up the coach? The rule has always been the same- the T goes to the shooter. Rule 10-3-6(c) is pretty explicit, and that language has been in the book for many years.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I was the L and we were ready to shoot the free throws. The shooter was chatting with the coach, and the coach wouldn't let him come to the line until he was done talking with the shooter. Coach received a technical foul from my partner for delay of game.

[/B]
Why did your partner T up the coach? The rule has always been the same- the T goes to the shooter. Rule 10-3-6(c) is pretty explicit, and that language has been in the book for many years. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with you as far as the rule goes, but in the case involving my partner, the Coach was adamant he wasn't going to come the player come to the free throw line until he, the coach, was done talking to him and not before. So I think that under those circumstances that the technical on the coach was the correct thing to do, because he was the bigger offender than the player.

mplagrow Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:27am

Order of throws

<b>I agree with you as far as the rule goes, but in the case involving my partner, the Coach was adamant he wasn't going to come the player come to the free throw line until he, the coach, was done talking to him and not before. So I think that under those circumstances that the technical on the coach was the correct thing to do, because he was the bigger offender than the player.</b>

So how did that play out then? Did you clear the lane, shoot the original free throws, then go to the other end and shoot the technical throws before giving the ball at the division line?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Feb 01, 2004 02:14pm

Re: Order of throws

Quote:

Originally posted by mplagrow
<b>I agree with you as far as the rule goes, but in the case involving my partner, the Coach was adamant he wasn't going to come the player come to the free throw line until he, the coach, was done talking to him and not before. So I think that under those circumstances that the technical on the coach was the correct thing to do, because he was the bigger offender than the player.</b>

So how did that play out then? Did you clear the lane, shoot the original free throws, then go to the other end and shoot the technical throws before giving the ball at the division line?

Yes.

ace Sun Feb 01, 2004 02:27pm

Easy... put the ball on the line - and start your usual 10-second to shoot the ball count... when u get to 10 blow your whistle say ten seconds... L picks up the ball... takes a few steps back... waits 2 seconds says we ready? I'm sure by now the coach and everyone else will have seen whats going on. So the coach will go ape-crap...let him embarras himself - by now you should have the shooter at the line. So while the coach is babling on and icing his free-throw shooter you give the player the ball start your ten second count and if the ball aint out of her hand or in the act of shooting by 10 blow it again. Message delieved and no t's given yet. YET is the keyword. Your old L new T will probably catch hell from the coach and depending on your partners skills with dealing with coaches, you may or may not get a T there.

JA

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 01, 2004 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ace
Easy... put the ball on the line - and start your usual 10-second to shoot the ball count... when u get to 10 blow your whistle say ten seconds... L picks up the ball... takes a few steps back... waits 2 seconds says we ready? I'm sure by now the coach and everyone else will have seen whats going on. So the coach will go ape-crap...let him embarras himself - by now you should have the shooter at the line. So while the coach is babling on and icing his free-throw shooter you give the player the ball start your ten second count and if the ball aint out of her hand or in the act of shooting by 10 blow it again. Message delieved and no t's given yet. YET is the keyword. Your old L new T will probably catch hell from the coach and depending on your partners skills with dealing with coaches, you may or may not get a T there.

You're kidding, right?

The coach will go "ape-crap". You're making up your own rules.

You were kidding,weren't you?

ace Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:09am

Yes I was kidding! I was in one of those moods yesterday afternoon.