The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

HS sub-varsity game -- timeout with 9.9 seconds left in a 3-pt game...I had reminded the student timer during the TO to watch the official and start the clock when he dropped his arm....official hands the ball to the player, starts his throw-in count; ball is released and I notice the clock has started & the ball is still high in the air for the throw-in. I blow my whistle to stop everything...clock was down to 6.8...I told partner what had happened and we put 9.9 back on the clock and just did a do-over....thought this was the right thing to do at the moment, and reading 5-10-2 afterward, it appears to confirm this
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I had a similar situation a few years ago in a JV game. I did exactly the same thing...sounded the whistle, reset the clock to its starting point, and readministered the throw-in. I believe that this is the correct action.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I heard a similar story that happened here in Cincy where there was 0.8 left....end line throw-in in the back court. A1 rolled ball to A2 and before A2 picked up the ball, the horn went.

DOH!!
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The only time it matters is when there is 2.4 left on the clock, and the official doesn't notice that there was an error until the ball is caught at the mid-court life and the horn sounds at that point. THEN you've got a problem, and a 15 page thread...
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The only time it matters is when there is 2.4 left on the clock, and the official doesn't notice that there was an error until the ball is caught at the mid-court life and the horn sounds at that point. THEN you've got a problem, and a 15 page thread...
Was that me?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
did we really make it to 15 with that one?? but really the ball was caught down in the front court near the other endline, which in itself contributed 34.8% of the thread LOL
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ever since I started doing college games I learned to watch the clock. This is just a lesson to always keep aware of what the clock is doing when you can.