The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Jr High playoffs last night. New partner. During first half, A had the ball in front court. It gets slapped away and there is a scrable for the ball. Meantime, my partner calls a 3 second count in the lane.

The A coach is claiming they lost control of the ball. No big deal. At half time, there was a friendly exchange between the coach and my partner and he agreed that he shouldn't have made the call.

I interupted and said that actually, it was the right call. I explained that once a team has control in the front court, they keep control unless, 1) there is a shot or tap attempt, 2) the other team gets control of the ball, or 3) the ball becomes dead. He went on and on about he played D1 (30 yrs ago) and he knew the rules. So, I pulled out the rule book and showed it to him. He still didn't believe that the 3 second rule applied. So, we just agreed to disagree. Again it was a friendly exchange as they were way up on the score board.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Unhappy ouch

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
Jr High playoffs last night. New partner. During first half, A had the ball in front court. It gets slapped away and there is a scrable for the ball. Meantime, my partner calls a 3 second count in the lane.

The A coach is claiming they lost control of the ball. No big deal. At half time, there was a friendly exchange between the coach and my partner and he agreed that he shouldn't have made the call.

I interupted and said that actually, it was the right call. I explained that once a team has control in the front court, they keep control unless, 1) there is a shot or tap attempt, 2) the other team gets control of the ball, or 3) the ball becomes dead. He went on and on about he played D1 (30 yrs ago) and he knew the rules. So, I pulled out the rule book and showed it to him. He still didn't believe that the 3 second rule applied. So, we just agreed to disagree. Again it was a friendly exchange as they were way up on the score board.
Was watching my daughter's game when the reverse happened- coaching screaming for a three sceond call- dead ball and R comes over and tells the coach- no player control- only team control. I can't call a 3 second violation------ouch
I moaned- held my tongue and made sure at our next board meeting this was covered- again

Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...A had the ball in front court. It gets slapped away and there is a scrable for the ball. Meantime, ....
Must be a local rule. Whoever comes up with the best word out of 7 randomly chosen letters get awarded the ball?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 05:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
...A had the ball in front court. It gets slapped away and there is a scrable for the ball. Meantime, ....
Must be a local rule. Whoever comes up with the best word out of 7 randomly chosen letters get awarded the ball?
B3
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 08:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
He went on and on about he played D1 (30 yrs ago) and he knew the rules.
Did you explain to him that there are 27.43 differences between high school and college rules and that this is one of them?

Always works for me.