The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   catching own air ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11949-catching-own-air-ball.html)

comfy Wed Jan 28, 2004 05:26pm

I play in an adult rec league and we definitely use high school rules. Or college rules. It depends on which referee you ask.

In our game last night an opponent dribbled, shot an airball, then retrieved it. The ball didn't touch the rim, the backboard or any other person. I've always thought that was travelling, and everybody on my team thought the same. Are we wrong about that? The refs swore to us that we were insane. I say they are. Who's right?

Thanks,

Comfy

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 28, 2004 05:30pm

The refs are right. It's only a violation in the NBA.

Rich Wed Jan 28, 2004 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by comfy
I play in an adult rec league and we definitely use high school rules. Or college rules. It depends on which referee you ask.

In our game last night an opponent dribbled, shot an airball, then retrieved it. The ball didn't touch the rim, the backboard or any other person. I've always thought that was travelling, and everybody on my team thought the same. Are we wrong about that? The refs swore to us that we were insane. I say they are. Who's right?

Thanks,

Comfy

As long as it's an attempted shot, the shooter can retrieve the airball and do anything they want. It's a violation in the NBA only, not in college or HS.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 28, 2004 05:42pm

Quote:

Who's right?
Wo's right? You're kiddin, aren't you? :D

Of course the refs are right! ;)

ChuckElias Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:50pm

Quote:

I play in an adult rec league and we definitely use high school rules. Or college rules.
I don't know why, but for some reason, these two sentences strike me as hysterically funny. Definitely HS rules. . . or, uh, NCAA. Real definite. :)

Oh, and BTW, cha - <font color = green size = +8>$</font> - ching!! You gonna share some of these fees you collect with us when we come down for THIRST, Tony? :D

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 29, 2004 02:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
Oh, and BTW, cha - <font color = green size = +8>$</font> - ching!! You gonna share some of these fees you collect with us when we come down for THIRST, Tony?

[/B][/QUOTE]Didn't Tony mention to you the corporate sponsors that he's got lined up? Or the half-time lingerie bowl?

Mick in lingerie! Not a sight for the faint-of-heart. Or the weak-of-heart! :D

Dan_ref Thu Jan 29, 2004 07:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Oh, and BTW, cha - <font color = green size = +8>$</font> - ching!! You gonna share some of these fees you collect with us when we come down for THIRST, Tony?

[/B]
Didn't Tony mention to you the corporate sponsors that he's got lined up? Or the half-time lingerie bowl?

Mick in lingerie! Not a sight for the faint-of-heart. Or the weak-of-heart! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

eesh...have a heart!