The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

I am just interested to know what everyone's take is on giving the head coach a second direct technical and a trip to the showers. Do you raise the bar, lower it or keep it standard. I have a problem with throwing coaches out of the game for something relatively minor (like other than swearing or a personal attack), but from a game management perspective, we need to control coaches. What are some of your opinions?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 06:39am
Huck Finn

I think everyone will have a different tolerance level. I think you should just think about being able to put it in a game report and if it will be a no brainer or cause someone to ask you "you threw him out for that?" If a coach does something that you feel strongly about handle your business and go on with the rest of the game. Also, the unwritten rule about not giving a coach both Ts has burned me in the past. Wrong or right people watching and I let a coach get away with some stuff he shouldn't have. It wasn't that he said one thing that was an automatic but he was just continuing with what got him the first T. Showing him the door would have set me apart and I didn't want to give him both Ts. Bull. If a coach deserves it, really deserves it, chuck him in a heartbeat. No emotion, just ejection.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 09:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I am just interested to know what everyone's take is on giving the head coach a second direct technical and a trip to the showers. Do you raise the bar, lower it or keep it standard. I have a problem with throwing coaches out of the game for something relatively minor (like other than swearing or a personal attack), but from a game management perspective, we need to control coaches. What are some of your opinions?
I've never seen a coach ejected.
I thought that was just TV stuff.
mick
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Smile Ejected

The only coach I ever saw ejected was in a tournament and another official ejected a coach. The official made a solid call and the coach just went off on the call so the official gave him the first and then the coach really got excited and that earned him the second. Guess what, the coach thought the call was against his team but the call was for his team and that is what made it look like such a bad call and because the coach misinterpeted who the call was on he got the showers!!!
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

It's never pretty.

I ejected a coach one time. In a summer tournament this one coach got excited about an out of bounds call. This was the dumbest thing to argue about. He kept trying to make a point and went over the line after a warning. Earned his first T. Then I was unable to report the T because he was between me and the table continuing to argue as if the first T never happened. He called the oob call bulls**t. And stayed in my face. When I told him to back up so I could report the to the table, he said, "What are you going to do?" That earned him a one-way ticket out of the gym.

I have never encountered anything even close to that. But when they earn it, they get it. Just got to be sure you can back it up.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Any time I've been in a game where a coach got a first T, he/she has been a pussycat after that. Amazing what the threat of ejection will do.

If I encountered a coach who was stupid enough to continue to be a jerk after the first, I'd have no problem giving him the second. If possible, I'd like each of his T's to come from a different official in the game.

Z
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Coaches are well aware of the consequences of the 2nd T. No need to baby them. In 99% of the cases, the first T settles them down.

When coaches persist (prior to the first T) I will warn them with, "Coach, that's enough." (Assuming there is no personal attack or profanity.) I believe that is fair. I was a coach and I know what it's like to be in the heat of the game. After the warning, they are subject to a T. I think some officials take too much from coaches. It is in the best interest of the coaches and their players to get hold of the situation early. Everyone benefits when the coach gets back to coaching and stops officiating. It's silly to see a coach spend a TO to whine to the officials when their team is sitting on the bench waiting for some instruction from the coach. They are being negligent in their job at this point.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 11:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Two basketball ejections since 1987. If we were talking baseball you'd be here a while

JV game in the late 80s, early 90s. I'm pretty new at this. Coach acts up in the first half and I whack him. No big deal, I thought. Until he comes at me on the way to the dressing room at halftime, getting in my face and screaming. I told him if he returned to the court after halftime the game would be forfeited. He didn't come back.

About seven years ago, I was working at a Christian high school in the bible belt. Coach wasn't acting very Christian. My partner whacked him 30 seconds into the game after my partner called a block and the coach said to him "You're pitiful" as he reported the foul. He got himself tossed in the second quarter and spent the rest of the game watching from behind the window of a courtside office. Replacement coach didn't say a word the whole game and the kids played better.

Once we get through this season I'll tell you how it's going. Don't want to spoil anything now.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 02:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I finally got to see (on replay of course) the situation in NC2A (I presume) where a coach followed an official to the FRA. The ref told him, "walk away coach..." (you could make out what his lips were saying). I thought it was handled very well.

I learned from that clip.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I've never seen a coach ejected.
I thought that was just TV stuff.
mick
I've only tossed 1 coach (in HS). Happened about 3 years ago. My partner gave the first T, went to administer the free-throws while I was back by mid-court with rest of the players. Started to inbound the ball and coach got up, stepped onto the court, looked at me and said "You suck as much as your partner". So long, Coach.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 03:07pm

Anyone ever tossed a coach on one T?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 05:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Partner tossed a player on one T once, but not a coach.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
I finally got to see (on replay of course) the situation in NC2A (I presume) where a coach followed an official to the FRA.

Why would the official go to France?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 06:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
I finally got to see (on replay of course) the situation in NC2A (I presume) where a coach followed an official to the FRA.

Mark,
I'll guess....
He was trying to *Remember* Paris ?
mick
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 07:21pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Because he quit the NBA and went back to Paris to be with his wife! :P