The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pre-Game Dunking (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11947-pre-game-dunking.html)

Luv4Asian8 Wed Jan 28, 2004 03:51pm

Hi, I have a game tonight where I have been warned to keep my eye on a team that is notorious for pregame dunking. Unfortunately, I don't have my rulebook/casebook on hand to review the rule and penalty. I know that the result is a Tech, but need to know on who (coach/player?) and the administration of the jumpball. Please let me know the reference/citation as soon as possible.

oh...sorry....it's NFHS.

Thanks.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 28, 2004 03:59pm

Player T on the dunker, 1 team foul per pregame dunk, one indirect on head coach per pregame dunk

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 28, 2004 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

Player T on the dunker, 1 team foul per pregame dunk, one indirect on head coach per pregame dunk

Notify the player and the head coach as soon as the dunk occurs. Tell the coach that he loses the coaches box and gets seat-belted because of the indirect T.

Smitty Wed Jan 28, 2004 04:22pm

I believe the arrow immediately gets set toward the team whose player dunked as well.

Luv4Asian8 Wed Jan 28, 2004 04:23pm

...so the jumpball will occur as normal and there are no Tech-free throws, right? Only the penalties you have just described.

Smitty Wed Jan 28, 2004 04:27pm

No jump ball. Let's call the team that dunked Team A. You start the game by administering the technical free throws for Team B and it's Team B's ball at the division line to start the game. The arrow is set toward Team A. That's how you start the game.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 28, 2004 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
I believe the arrow immediately gets set toward the team whose player dunked as well.
Nope, not until the thrower is handed the ball for the throw-in. Casebook play 6.3.1SitA.

Smitty Wed Jan 28, 2004 04:37pm

I stand corrected. You wait till the player from Team B has the ball for the inital inbounds play after the free throws and then you set the arrow toward Team A. Thanks for the clarification.

Luv4Asian8 Wed Jan 28, 2004 04:44pm

Okay, this is what I have gathered so far.

1. Tech on Dunking Player per dunk.
2. Team Foul for Bonus per dunk.
3. Indirect Tech on offending Head Coach.
4. Seatbelt Rule for offending Head Coach.
5. Start Game with:
i. 2 Tech-FTs (per dunk?)
ii. Non-offending team has possession at division line opposite table.
iii. Alt-Poss points toward offending team on inbound.

Does this seem all correct sequentially??

pank Wed Jan 28, 2004 05:01pm

And if three players all decide to dunk the ball before the game, the coach gets three indirects, and he's gone for the night.

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 28, 2004 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Okay, this is what I have gathered so far.

1. Tech on Dunking Player per dunk.
2. Team Foul for Bonus per dunk.
3. Indirect Tech on offending Head Coach.
4. Seatbelt Rule for offending Head Coach.
5. Start Game with:
i. 2 Tech-FTs (per dunk?)
ii. Non-offending team has possession at division line opposite table.
iii. Alt-Poss points toward offending team on inbound.

Does this seem all correct sequentially??

Yes - as long as #3 is one per dunk.
Also, 5(i) is 2 FT's per dunk.

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 28, 2004 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by pank
And if three players all decide to dunk the ball before the game, the coach gets three indirects, and he's gone for the night.

From officialforum.com lore, this has happened before. Kids were upset with the coach b/c of something in practice, first three out in the layup line dunked, coach is gone for the night.

Of course, the next day's practice was even worse . . . .

smoref Wed Jan 28, 2004 07:09pm

The last time I had a player dunk in warm-ups, I went over to the player and told him he needed to go tell his coach that they are starting 2 points down, without the ball, and he is seatbelted for the game. The player went over, told his coach and the player was on the bench for the start of the game.......

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by smoref
The last time I had a player dunk in warm-ups, I went over to the player and told him he needed to go tell his coach that they are starting 2 points down, without the ball, and he is seatbelted for the game. The player went over, told his coach and the player was on the bench for the start of the game.......

Don't forget - if this happened after the 10 minute mark, and your dunker was a starter, you get to tell the coach that they're starting the game 4 free throws down, without the ball, and without the coaching box.

ChuckElias Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
Hi, I have a game tonight where I have been warned to keep my eye on a team that is notorious for pregame dunking. Unfortunately, I don't have my rulebook/casebook on hand to review the rule and penalty.
It's good to know the rule, and I'm a huge advocate of knowing the ins-and-outs of even the obscure situations. . .

But. . .

If this team is "notorious" for dunking, my suggestion would be to take some sort of pre-emptive action. As soon as you get on the floor, or as soon as the team comes onto the floor, I would be the first one in the lay-up line and tell them that you're watching for dunks.

Instead of catching them, I'd rather prevent the dunks. JMO