The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

So, my assignor calls and says a nearby association is having trouble covering all it's games over the next couple of weeks and they have asked us for help. He asks if I'm interested and I say, sure.

Anyways, they are doing 3-person mech. (High School). I have never done 3-person other than a little at a camp a couple of years ago--nothing extensive.

I've been reffing for a considerable time (30+ years) so, it's almost like breathing to me--I usually don't have to fret and worry alot--just trying to get better on all the little things. Now I feel a little trepidation/worry. I figure the game is still the same, I just don't want to be too "out of it", so I'm reading up on the Basic Procedures and Mechanics for Three Officials--and I'm asking for your help on any hints/advice to make this easier for me an, in turn, for my partners.

Also, we will be reffing a varsity girls game followed by a varsity boys game. In my assoc. we do only guys games. Any suggestions in this regard will also be appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

David,
First thing is to make sure you have an extensive pre-game with your partners making sure the differences between 2 and 3 person mechanics with regards to primary areas are covered. If your partners are comfortable doing 3 person, then you shouldnt worry too much. Most important thing is to call your game. And have fun.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Girls vs Boys game - Really apply advantage/disadvantage. It generally takes a lot less contact in a girls game to cause an advantage to be gained.

First 3-whistle game - Read up on the mechanics and rotations, let your partners know that this is your first 3 whistle game and ask them to have a thorough pre-game with you.
After all that is done and the game has started, remember to keep officiating the ball game. Don't concentrate so hard on where you are supposed to be on the court that you lose focus on the ball game. You will probably miss some rotations. Your partners will know, but don't let anyone else in the gym know.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I remember my first 3 whistle game

Its easy enough to know where the three of you are supposed to be when the ball is dead. So, if you are not sure, watch your other two and then go to the empty spot. That worked for me on my first game.

I can relate to the breathing part. On two whistle, I know everything going on. On three man, I still am working to get to that comfort level. It is getting better.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Just remember 2 ball side on a throw-in.

Everything else will fall into place. If your partners know that you're new, they should just be thankful that you're covering the 3rd person and should be okay with you being slightly off on rotations and switches.

BTW, try watching some men's NCAA games between now and then.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

A few things that may help.

NFHS Mechanics

Only two officials switch. Ball placement may require a rotation but only two will actually switch.

The calling official is always going to go opposite table after reporting.

If you're tableside and you don't call the foul, you will never switch. Again, you may rotate because of ball placement but you won't switch.

If you're tableside and call the foul, you'll always switch.

Hope that helps!
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Most important (I think) - CALL THE GAME

Don't get too caught up in where you're supposed to be, and when. Don't obsess about the rotations, switches, etc. Bottom line is, make the calls you gotta make.

We're the only ones who actually care if we get the rotations and switches right - the players and coaches are still worried about the same ol' thing: calls, calls, calls.

Have a solid pre-game. Then just go out and ref.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

It's amazing to a degree how we can get caught up in the little things.

I appreciate the advice. Good pre-game--that's always important. Relax, don't get too caught up in the switches and rotations--my partners will help me out. And most important, call the game.

Thanks!
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I remember my first 3-man game, I was so nervous and worried about being where I was supposed to be that I wasn't watching what was happening 6 feet in front of me. Just relax and call the game you know how to call. The positioning will fall into place. Good Luck!