The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had a game today where my partner call a foul as time ran out in the first half. The team was in the bonus, so the player went to the line to shoot one and one. My question is it legal for the opposing team to leave the court and go to the looker room as the player is shooting his foul shoot. We let them leave the area, but i am not sure if that is against the rules.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 10:31pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by readingofficial
I had a game today where my partner call a foul as time ran out in the first half. The team was in the bonus, so the player went to the line to shoot one and one. My question is it legal for the opposing team to leave the court and go to the looker room as the player is shooting his foul shoot. We let them leave the area, but i am not sure if that is against the rules.
I do not believe that the quarter is over until the last free throw has been missed.

If this is true, and a technical foul were to be charged to the shooting team, a member from the team that has now left the gym would have to come out and shoot the T FTs.

Others will give you a better answer though as I am not 100% certain.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 10:33pm
Ref Ump Welsch

If there is no time on the clock, the shooter would be shooting the free throws with noone on the lane; therefore, the opposing team really has no reason to stick around and watch. I don't think there's a rule reference for this.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

No defenders are required on the lane. 8-1-2
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Even though no defenders are necessary on the lane for the free throws, I would NOT allow the other team to go to the locker room until the shots have been made. These free throws are a part of the 2nd quarter and the intermission doesn't begin until the 2nd quarter is finished. Besides, why should you give the opponents an advantage by allowing them to be coached and tutored before the other, offended, team has that opportunity?