The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Team A was about to inbound the ball when coach A yelled "SUB!" and sent a player into the game. A1 threw the ball in any way and it was caught by A2. Everyone froze in anticipation of another throw in after the sub. The trail after a second pause the trail official yelled, "It wasn't called in time! Games on!" A2 was all by himself and made an easy lay-up. Here is my question. Was this handled right or should they have thrown it in again after getting the extra player off the court?

[Edited by gostars on Jan 25th, 2004 at 05:56 PM]
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Once the ball is put at the disposal of the thrower-in then it is too late for subs to enter. It sounds as though this sub illeagally entered the game. Did the sub report to the table? Was the sub beckoned by an official? If not, then you have a technical foul for the illeagal substitution.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

The sub was over at the table and I am not sure whether the horn had been blown. I am almost 100% sure that neither official beckoned him to enter the game. He only got a step or two on the court before he was waved off by the trail.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 06:57pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns
Once the ball is put at the disposal of the thrower-in then it is too late for subs to enter.
Mike,
You may want to re-think that statement.
mick
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Once the ball is put at the disposal of the thrower-in then it is too late for subs to enter.
Mike,
mick
Why Mick? You lost me. The ball is live once it's at the disposal of the thrower. Are you using hockey rules?

Z
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Mike,
mick
OK I thought about all day and now I can't get it out of my head...argggghhh It's like a bad song I can't stop singing and I can't remember who sang it. What is it? WHAT IS IT!?

Anyway, I guess I have asked for the ball back when I noticed a sub late or Partner blows his wistle for a sub. But
I think technically if not gramatically the statement is correct.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Mike,
mick
OK I thought about all day and now I can't get it out of my head...argggghhh It's like a bad song I can't stop singing and I can't remember who sang it. What is it? WHAT IS IT!?

Anyway, I guess I have asked for the ball back when I noticed a sub late or Partner blows his wistle for a sub. But I think technically if not gramatically the statement is correct.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2004, 10:47pm
In Memoriam

just nit mickin'

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mike,
mick

Anyway, I guess I have asked for the ball back when I noticed a sub late or Partner blows his wistle for a sub. But
I think technically if not gramatically the statement is correct.

Mike,
Yes, of course you are correct for the sitch.

"Once the ball is put at the disposal of the thrower-in then it is too late for subs to enter"... without the team in control requesting a time out for such substitution.

mick