The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Longtime listener, first time caller (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11881-longtime-listener-first-time-caller.html)

ChuckElias Sun Jan 25, 2004 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
And when the Dinosaur and Dan start getting smart-a**ed with you, you'll know you've arrived!
All right! I've arrived!! Now, uh. . . where am I? :confused:

dblref Mon Jan 26, 2004 07:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
And when the Dinosaur and Dan start getting smart-a**ed with you, you'll know you've arrived!
All right! I've arrived!! Now, uh. . . where am I? :confused:

When did you change your name to Dan? I don't remember any vertically challenged dinosaurs. :D

theboys Mon Jan 26, 2004 09:13am

Hey, OverandBack. If you think you're going to pursue refereeing as a serious avocation I suggest you try to attend a camp or two. Like camps for players, you get to see a lot of work in a short period of time, and you're surrounded by people who are generally as good or better than you.

At least, that's what they tell me, anyway.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 26, 2004 09:26am

Re: Update

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack
Yesterday I felt like the seventh caller, some guy who won a radio contest and got to ref for a day. Today I actually felt like an official.

I punted a couple, and I still have to work on doing A, then B, then C, instead of right now when I find myself trying to do ABCD all at once.

But I felt 100% better today than yesterday. Thanks for all the encouragement. Can't wait to get out there again.

Well said. Congrats and you'll have tonnes of fun, I guarantee it.

OverAndBack Mon Jan 26, 2004 09:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by theboys
Hey, OverandBack. If you think you're going to pursue refereeing as a serious avocation I suggest you try to attend a camp or two.
Forgive the newbie question, but how exactly would I go about that? I would like to.

theboys Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:43pm

I'm not a ref, so can't really give you an answer. A lot of the regulars go to camps, however, so I hope one of them will weigh in. If you don't hear from anyone in a day or so, I suggest a new thread, asking specifically for camp info for your area.

ChuckElias Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by theboys
asking specifically for camp info for your area.
This is the key. As a very new guy, you probably do not want to fly across the country for a camp. So let us know where you are, and somebody from your area will probably chime in.

OverAndBack Mon Jan 26, 2004 03:57pm

I'm in suburban Chicago. Is there some sort of clearinghouse website for those types of things?

bob jenkins Mon Jan 26, 2004 07:00pm

Quote:

I'm in suburban Chicago. Is there some sort of clearinghouse website for those types of things?
What association do you belong to? Do you want to work girls, boys or both?

Feel free to contact me off-line for more information.

OverAndBack Thu Feb 05, 2004 08:24pm

Hey, what do you know? I was thinking I wouldn't get to do any games this weekend, and I was bummed because I didn't do any games last weekend, and my assignor just called to give me three games Saturday! YAY!

It's a different feeling now. After the first day I wasn't sure I could do this. After the second day I thought "Man, this is FUN!"

I'm looking forward to Saturday. Thanks for everybody's encouragement and advice.

rainmaker Fri Feb 06, 2004 02:43am

Quote:

Hey, what do you know? I was thinking I wouldn't get to do any games this weekend, and I was bummed because I didn't do any games last weekend, and my assignor just called to give me three games Saturday! YAY!

It's a different feeling now. After the first day I wasn't sure I could do this. After the second day I thought "Man, this is FUN!"

I'm looking forward to Saturday. Thanks for everybody's encouragement and advice.

Okay, folks, he's hooked now! O&B, don't ever stop having fun. Yea, there'll be days here and there, even the odd week, when you really wonder WTH you're doing. But as long as it's 85% or more unadulterated fun, you just keep running and whistling. Life doesn't get much better than this. Around the end of March, check back in here for a list of Whistles Anonymous meetings around the country. Meantime, Happy Hoops!

OverAndBack Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:10am

Bump because I was once again bummed that I had a whole weekend with nothing to do and no games to call, but my guy just called and gave me two games late this afternoon.

You guys were right - now my feeling is "Yay! I get to do games today!" where a few weeks ago I wasn't sure that was such a good thing.

Time for a little rulebook study before I polish my shoes. Thanks for everybody's help and encouragement!

OverAndBack Sun Feb 15, 2004 09:01pm

Turned out to be 2 1/2 games. I got there early for my game, and the guy working the game before me had his partner not show up, so he did the first half alone. I jumped in and did the second half with him (8th grade Girls A, the highest level I've done so far), which was good. I'll take all the action I can get.

I blew a couple - nothing earth-shattering, but things that at least make me say "Okay, I need to work on that," which is the point, I reckon.

But one thing I've definitely improved on is something that I think is very, very important for an inexperienced official that most of the rest of you probably take for granted because you've been doing it for so long - confidence. That's a huge hump to get over. Having a court presence is so valuable, I'm finding out. How I feel now when I go on the court versus how I felt three weeks ago is like night and day, seriously. I feel like I'm supposed to be there, at least, which is a good part of the battle. Now I can deal with finding a few things in every game I do that I do a little better than the last time and try not to make the same mistakes over and over.

Season's almost over. Hope I'll get a few more games in.

One-Whistle Mon Feb 16, 2004 01:41am

Progress....

Great Attitude! Charge forward. :)

One of those primitive, but essential officiating skills is

EYE CONTACT with your partner EVERY time before you administer the ball for an inbound play.

I will slip in a minor addition to this and include ALWAYS glance at the table before administering the ball for an inbound play (and occasionally during play). It is an easy way to make the coaches feel that you are "on top of your game." If you are consistently missing substitutes during dead balls it will cause grief in MANY areas. Yes, the table should blast the horn to alert you, but you should know well before the horn is sounded.

"Whistle While You Work!"

OverAndBack Mon Feb 16, 2004 09:22am

Thanks. I always do the first one (usually with a thumbs up when we're ready to go, whether I'm administering the throwin or not) and can do better on the second one.

I reckon eventually all these places that you have to think about constantly looking to will become second nature.