The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Comment at association meeting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1188-comment-association-meeting.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 05, 2000 05:08pm

Sunday night at our association meeting, we were discussing one of the rec leagues we do. They have a strict policy of allowing no food or drink in the school gyms, and we are charged with enforcing this. It's a pain, but we do it.

Our commissioner asked if anyone ever allowed an exception to this rule. One guy said he had a kid who was diabetic and needed to have some snack at the bench in case his glucose level dropped. We all agreed this was OK.

Then one of our younger refs said he allowed baby bottles in the gym. The commissioner said that made sense. Then the younger guy said that the reason he allowed them is that he didn't want to deal with the alternative.

As you may have guessed, we all cracked up.

Hawks Coach Tue Dec 05, 2000 05:31pm

Love the story, but it brings an immediate question to mind. Are you serving as both referees and gym supervisors, or just as referees? I have heard a number of views expressed that the refs deal with the rulebook and not the gym rules or rec league policies. The situation is different if they have you alternating working table/gym supervisor with working floor as ref. Otherwise, I wonder why they don't get someone to manage gym while you referee.

Also, I can't function without my morning lift, so would I qualify for a coffee exemption;)

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 05, 2000 07:53pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawks Coach
[B]Love the story, but it brings an immediate question to mind. Are you serving as both referees and gym supervisors, or just as referees?

In this case only, the rec organization rents gym space from the public school district. The organization (a non-profit volunteer group) does not supply gym supervisors, so we have to set up the scoreboard controllers, get out the book and yell at anyone who has food or drink.

We do get extra pay for this, however. The only alternative would be for us not to do the league.

JRutledge Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:54am

The alternative

I think I might consider the alternative. That is too much to be worried about. Actually, how much more do you get paid to do that?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[B]
Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Love the story, but it brings an immediate question to mind. Are you serving as both referees and gym supervisors, or just as referees?

In this case only, the rec organization rents gym space from the public school district. The organization (a non-profit volunteer group) does not supply gym supervisors, so we have to set up the scoreboard controllers, get out the book and yell at anyone who has food or drink.

We do get extra pay for this, however. The only alternative would be for us not to do the league.

Todd VandenAkker Wed Dec 06, 2000 09:06am

I thought you were going to say the younger official keeps a couple of baby bottles at the table to hand to a whining player.

Bart Tyson Wed Dec 06, 2000 09:13am

Thats funny:)

zebra44 Wed Dec 06, 2000 04:15pm

A good association meeting should always keep you abreast of things.

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 06, 2000 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebra44
I agree, however some of our members are complete boobs.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 06, 2000 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Originally posted by zebra44
I agree, however some of our members are complete boobs.

Are you saying that a retaliation foul is tit for tat?

doghead Wed Dec 06, 2000 07:41pm

Hey watch it...us flat chested women are getting a complex with the nature of this discussion!

rainmaker Thu Dec 07, 2000 04:13am

As a mother who is still feeding a baby "alternatively" I'm thinkin' hmm....

Todd VandenAkker Thu Dec 07, 2000 12:10pm

Oh my, what did I start here? Next topic, please. :-)

donfowler Thu Dec 07, 2000 07:45pm

Didn't state the age group, but that really doesn't matter. How can we give the players a good game if we have to check the door everytime someone walks in??
If game is in progress and you see someone with a drink in the stands, do you stop game and have that person removed??
Glad it's you and not me.
Good luck