The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

When the scorekeeper fouls up - what can the Referee do?

Specifically - They struggled with the possession arrow. Partner and I tried to keep a close watch in 8th grade game.

Last few seconds - Jump Ball. Signaled towards arrow direction - crowd on its feet. 12 seconds left to get off a winning shot, baseline under their basket. Coach wants Time Out to draw up a play.

Table signals us. We're told arrow was pointing wrong way. Other direction correct, ball should go to team up by two. Players in tight huddle with coach's.

As discussion insues - Coach says that possession should be kept manually in the book too. Correct? That would determine if there was a mistake.

We said to coach's that the arrow box was a message and IF the scorekeeper was SURE she did not change it correctly (she said she was certain) we went with her word. We did not have the manual book to back us up.

We went with scorekeeper, changed directions and time ran out.

Tough night.

Suggestions?

Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

- Learn to be more aware of the arrow. Make sure it changes when (and only when!) it should.

- Discuss this with the table crew in pregame. Make sure if they have questions about the arrow, let you know, and to keep track in the book, as well.

- If you're keeping track of the arrow, you should know when it's wrong. That way, you can back up your whistle with a "I know it's pointing your way coach, but you got possession on the last held ball at the foul line."
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

bottom line is this...the score keeper was certain and you went with what she had...you did the right thing..even though it was painful....
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I don't trust the table so I keep the arrow with me. I have a coin in my pocket. When I face the table which ever pocket the coin is in that's the direction we are going.

Takes a little practice, but eventually it becomes second nature.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by garote
I don't trust the table so I keep the arrow with me. I have a coin in my pocket.

I don't trust the table so I keep the arrow with me. I remember the direction in my head.

(And it looks better than patting yourself down after every held ball.)
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

As painful as it can be, a game like that is a great one to work on your arrow management. Force yourself after each AP throw-in to look and make sure the arrow got flipped. If it didn't, get it straight at the next dead ball.

I agree with Chuck on the coin thing. I think it looks bad to see an official using a coin in the pocket (or whatever) or rubber band on the wrist to keep track of the possession arrow. Get rid of the crutch and force yourself to learn to be more aware.

Z
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

1. Always know which direction the AP goes without having to look at the table.

2. Make sure the arrow is pointing in the right direction after inbounding.

3. Never use a coin or rubber band. I saw a college assignor once tell an official, "If I ever see you switch a coin from one pocket to the other again, you will never work for me again."
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I'm getting better at keeping track of the arrow in my head but as a backup I use the button on the left rear pocket of my pants as an indicator. As I face the table, if the pocket is open, go with it. If it's closed, go away from it. Not sure how assignors would feel about my method but it takes less time and is a little more subtle than switching a coin from pocket to pocket.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 11:53am
In Memoriam

Oh my! What next?

I'm waiting for someone to post that they use the zipper on their fly to keep track of the arrow.

Ain't going any further with this one.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Switching an object from one pocket to the other every time there is held ball is goofy looking (to me). It is worse when BOTH refs are doing this, and even dumber when the table KNOWS how to keep the arrow properly.
After I observed a game where this was occuring, I mentioned this to the two refs (guys I knew). One of them said "It doesn't matter, only another ref would notice."
Hmmm...

PS The back pocket button doesn't sound like such a bad idea until you get used to using your memory alone.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

not a bad idea!

Some of these ideas sound a little strange but if you work in a gym or at a level where problems are chronic they would be great tips. Heck we work in one gym where the same guy has been at the clock for years and we have seen timing errors that at first made us think he was crooked but now have seen so many that we just know he is inept. Guess what? When we go to that gym he is a part of our pre-game. We keep an eye on the clock and cover our own hinder! If it works use it!!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Oh my! What next?

I'm waiting for someone to post that they use the zipper on their fly to keep track of the arrow.

I just flip my combover hairstyle in the direction of the arrow.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the officials who say the coin in the pocket, etc. looks stupid, but if you're just starting out and doing middle school games, that might not be so bad. It's a lot worse if a game is decided based on an incorrect arrow.

At a middle school game, you probably don't have an experienced scorer. Get in the habit of instructing the scorer before the game to keep track of the arrow in the book. Follow up at the end of the quarter.

Over time, as you get more confident in you officiating abilities, you'll be able to keep track in your head of the AP situations. And if you have definite knowledge of the correct direction of the arrow, that controls.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Oh my! What next?

I just flip my combover hairstyle in the direction of the arrow.
If my glasses are on we go left as I face the table if I take em off, we go right...that is if I can actually see a held ball
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Can't use it!

Would't work for me. With my super hold hair spray I would need hinges on my hair to make it flip!