The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I was watching a game on Saturday and the following sequence happened...

Shooter A-1 shot the first of 2 free throws. The shot missed off the back iron and bounced directly back to the shooter. Rather than returning the ball to the official, the shooter shot another free throw (a practice shot) and the ref then retrieved the ball (it went in) and returned it to the shooter for his second shot.

My question is, is it legal for the shooter to take that "practice" free throw? I thought I remember reading somewhere that this was a no-no, but now I can't find it anywhere. If it is illegal, what is the penalty, a T?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of game warning first. If a delay has already been given a team previously in the game, the shooter gets a T.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Delay of game warning first. If a delay has already been given a team previously in the game, the shooter gets a T.
Hmmm, this is not one of the things we give team warnings for. The only delay warnings we can give are for:

1) a defensive player breaking the OOB plane during a throw-in;

2) interfering with the ball following a goal; or

3) huddling or contact with the free thrower prior to a FT.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Hmmm, this is not one of the things we give team warnings for. The only delay warnings we can give are for:

I'm not sure what you are infering Chuck. Would you ignore the action or T right away?
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I'm not sure what you are infering Chuck. Would you ignore the action or T right away?
I don't think he's saying that. It's simply not an "official" delay of game warning.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I'm not sure what you are infering Chuck.
I'm inferring that you're unclear on the difference between "implying" and "inferring". (Sorry, couldn't help myself )

My only point was that there is no delay of game warning allowed for this situation. I would probably warn, but could be convinced to do otherwise.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it does fit into that criteria. 2) interfering with the ball following a goal. And rule book definds a free throw as an unhindered try for goal. Warn em.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveF
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it does fit into that criteria. 2) interfering with the ball following a goal. And rule book definds a free throw as an unhindered try for goal. Warn em.
If he missed the shot, how is he "interfering with the ball following a goal." A goal is not a missed shot.

Chuck is correct. It is not delay of game warning by rule. It is a tecnical foul, by rule.

2-7-4
The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules. This includes:
Prohibiting practice during a dead ball, except between halves.

10-3-6a
A player shall not:
Delay the game by acts such as:
Preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah it does fit into that criteria. 2) interfering with the ball following a goal.
I think you're stretching quite a bit, Steve. There has been no goal in the situation under discussion; merely a missed attempt. Additionally, case 10-1-5D makes it clear that the infraction is contacting the ball after a made goal, preventing the other team from making a quick throw-in.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah it does fit into that criteria. 2) interfering with the ball following a goal.
I think you're stretching quite a bit, Steve. There has been no goal in the situation under discussion; merely a missed attempt. Additionally, case 10-1-5D makes it clear that the infraction is contacting the ball after a made goal, preventing the other team from making a quick throw-in.
Forgot that the shot was missed in the original post. Just playing devil's advocate.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

The two citations from BktBallRef were the exact ones I was looking for. I knew I read something about practicing and couldn't come up with where.

I would think that this situation fits best under 2-7-4, permitting players to practice. It could also be considered delay of game if you consider that the player did not immediately return the ball to the official and therefore delayed administration of the ball becoming live again.

I guess, after thinking about it, I am inclined to issue a delay of game warning - it recognizes the act but doesn't overly punish.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 03:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SCBroncos

I guess, after thinking about it, I am inclined to issue a delay of game warning - it recognizes the act but doesn't overly punish.
Please go back and read Chuck's & BBRef's posts above. By rule,you cannot issue an official delay of game warning. If you are going to do anything, you have your choice of an unofficial warning to the player or an immediate T- nothing else.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 04:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think an unofficial warning may be in order here. The only problem with that is if someone else does it, you almost have to warn them, too.