The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   checking the book (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11676-checking-book.html)

DJ Tue Jan 13, 2004 01:12pm

Is it proper protocol to check the book so it is correct by the 10 minute mark or to check it at the 10 minute mark to make any corrections to make it correct. Should you take the book to the coach and ask him to review his lineup? Does this vary by regions? What is everyone doing?

cmathews Tue Jan 13, 2004 01:15pm

At the 12 minute mark we talk to the coaches, I ask them at this time if their bookwork is done....we then talk to the captains, then I check the book at 10...hopefully all is well...the other nite though I checked the book and saw only 4 starters...but it was because the book keeper was copying the lineup into the book at that time..it had been provided to her in time, as I was looking at it, she reached in and put another S in the book LOL

zebraman Tue Jan 13, 2004 01:19pm

I walk over to the table at 12:00. This gives me two-minutes to make sure that the book is correct and prevent administrative problems. If you don't go over until 10:00, you have exactly zero seconds to fix any problems.

Z

JRutledge Tue Jan 13, 2004 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DJ
Is it proper protocol to check the book so it is correct by the 10 minute mark or to check it at the 10 minute mark to make any corrections to make it correct.
I go to the table at 12:30 on the clock. Gives me time to make sure everything is in order and sumitted to the proper people.

Quote:

Originally posted by DJ

Should you take the book to the coach and ask him to review his lineup? Does this vary by regions? What is everyone doing?

I only do this if there is something I do not understand or we have an improper count in the book than what is on the floor. Or if they have a player crossed out or erased for some reason. Or if they do not have the starters listed. But if the scorer has an explaination that is to my satisfaction (player injured or he was kicked off the team), then I will not go to the coach at all.

This does not just vary by regions, I am sure it varies by official. I know guys in associations I belong that do all kind of different things before the 10:00 minute mark.

Peace

BktBallRef Tue Jan 13, 2004 02:06pm

Seldom do I see a book that's ready at the 10 minute mark.

rainmaker Tue Jan 13, 2004 04:24pm

The book proper doesn't have to be done at 10 minutes, does it? Isn't it the case that the information merely needs to be at the table, and vailaable to the book person?

JRutledge Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:10pm

Double headers.

The information has to be sumitted. That is basically all. I am sure not going to T a team because the scorekeeper went up to get something to drink and something to eat. By the way which happens a lot when you are at a game with a double header.

Peace

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Jan 13, 2004 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
The book proper doesn't have to be done at 10 minutes, does it? Isn't it the case that the information merely needs to be at the table, and vailaable to the book person?
I tend to enforce the rule that way also Juulie. It is the coach (team) that gets penalized so I figure if the coach's work has been done, how can I reasonably penalize him?

We've got a coach in our area that likes to engage the opposing coach in conversation just as soon as he can and then keep him occupied until after the 10 minute mark. He gives a big s*** eating grin as the officials walk over to check the book. Opposing coach didn't get his book work done because he was talking...

It is for this reason that the official can use a little preventive officiating by checking the book early and if it is not ready, prompting the delinquent coach to finish his bookwork before a technical foul needs to be assessed.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
I tend to enforce the rule that way also Juulie. It is the coach (team) that gets penalized so I figure if the coach's work has been done, how can I reasonably penalize him?

You can't, I don't think anyone is saying anything any differently.

My point is that the book is seldom ready at the 10 minute mark, so I can I check it at 12?

Situation tonight, timer only puts 10 minutes on the clock between games. R goes to check book at 6 minutes. Coach still hasn't given scorer the roster or starters. We get down to 0:00. have intors, play the National Anthem, and the scorer has just not got the roster and is putting them in the book.

We started the game with a T. When we have to delay the start of the game because the coach didn't do his job, we WILL start with a T.