The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 03:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Had a shot-clock operator who got to leave the game early this weekend...first situation: visiting team has ball, shot clock down under 10 seconds, shot, hits rim, rebound tapped oob by home team, visiting coach requests time-out...I notice shot clock did not reset and signal him to reset it...he waves at me to come over there and asks why he should reset it! I reply that the shot hit rim and then went oob, so we have a reset...he says ok and resets it...

2nd situation: later in first half, home team has ball, visitor ties it up, partner calls held ball, a.p. going to home team I see shot clock go from 8 to 30...I hold things up and tell him to reset it to 8...he says no...I explain that under NCAA rules, a held ball retained by same team does not get a reset...he replies with the following: "Well that's twice you've been wrong. Maybe you'll get the third one right."

I, of course, responded to him with "Maybe, but you won't be here to see it. Leave now." He got up and walked out and another guy slid over. I asked the new guy if he was familiar with the process, and he told me it was the 6th time this season the guy had been kicked out...geeesh!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 04:05pm
In Memoriam

Cool

...And over in the Cozy Pub Lounge at a corner table near a fireplace, a man is relating how he almost had to work another basketball game that evening.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 05:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
...And over in the Cozy Pub Lounge at a corner table near a fireplace, a man is relating how he almost had to work another basketball game that evening.
ROTFLMAO!!
Classic.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

All I can say is that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
I actually envisioned the guy had a mistress in the wings and an easily obtained alibi then a quick departure to an hourly rate hotel.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 12:11am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
All I can say is that it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
Well, that is true...but if I had known he was going to the Cozy Pub, I'd have followed him out the door!!!
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar incident....
Working JV... timer has never worked the clock. I do a real fast pregame. Walk across the floor and chat with my partner, turn around and the guy I just spoke to is gone. Go back to the table and ask where he went the new timer said the previous guy didn't feel he could do it. Redid the pregame ,go through the first half no problems. Come back after half and I have another new timer. Other kid had to leave. Do another fast "pregame". 4th quarter home coach starts complaining about the clock and the score. I "T" him up and he asks what was that for and I said for all the trouble I had to go through with his timers.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Cool RE:

The most important thing is to have a pre-game conference with the timers as well as the score keeper. That way all questions can be addressed. Also, the site management should have quality trained personnel on the table anyway.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I was watching a JV boys game this weekend, and the scoreboard operator must have been a first-timer. Two or three times he forgot to stop the clock, and the officials came over to reset the time. The fourth time I hollered out "clock's running!", and he stopped it. When the ball was inbounded, he forgot to start it again. My wife leaned over to me and said, "well, its not running now".

Funny thing is, he went on to do the varsity games, and I don't recall a single problem in either.

To make matters worse in the JV game, though, one of the officials (2-man) appeared to be real green. His foul-call mechanics were not very good. We had three or four delays where the scorekeeper was confused about who a foul was on, and had to call the officials over to ask.

The worst moment (for the officials, anyway) occurred in the third quarter. A1 took a shot, and was fouled. The "experienced" official blew his whistle. As everyone stopped, A1's shot rebounded out to the middle of the lane, where A2 caught it, and nonchalantly shot it in. As the "experienced" official approached the table to make the call, the "green" official intercepted him, and tried to convince him the shot had been good. They stood at midcourt discussing it for 15-20 seconds. It was pretty embarrassing.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garote
I had a similar incident....
Working JV... timer has never worked the clock. I do a real fast pregame. Walk across the floor and chat with my partner, turn around and the guy I just spoke to is gone. Go back to the table and ask where he went the new timer said the previous guy didn't feel he could do it. Redid the pregame ,go through the first half no problems. Come back after half and I have another new timer. Other kid had to leave. Do another fast "pregame". 4th quarter home coach starts complaining about the clock and the score. I "T" him up and he asks what was that for and I said for all the trouble I had to go through with his timers.
I don't see a smiley face but I hope you are kidding. I'm a varsity coach and I don't hire the timers, my AD does. I might have a little input (if I thought a timer was terrible I'd tell my AD and he would probably find someone else) but my JV coach has none.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Wink

Don't we all just love those table perosnel people that try to officiate with us when they are working as the table crew.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Sorry PA Coach No joke

I realize he doesn't have a lot of say, but it's still his responsibility.

Really I'm not a big jerk most of the time.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garote
I realize he doesn't have a lot of say, but it's still his responsibility.
I have to agree with PA Coach.

How do you know he has a responsibility to get the table crew at his school?

And, even if he does, just because the table sucks is no reason to whack the coach.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

HAD A TABLE CREW LAST NIGHT THAT WAS OF NO HELP AT ALL. NEW GYM WITH A CRAPPY SCORE BOARD (MUST OF RAN OUT OF MONEY). IT DIDNT SHOW TEAM FOULS AND THE TABLE DIDNT KEEP US INFORMED OF THOSE UNTILL, YA YOU GOT IT ,WE INBOUND THE BALL WHEN WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHOOTING! OR THEY WOULD SAY NO ONE AND ONE UNTILL WE INBOUND THE BALL, THEN THEY WOULD GIVE US A HORN AND SAY ONE AND ONE. THEY COULDNT KEEP IT STREIGHT.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes you take the little things for granted. As for Rockyroad, You would think the people sitting at the score table would have a clue of there responsibilites and rules of the game.

I have had the scoretable from hell the last two nights. I will never put myself in that situation again. The score table can make you look like complete idiot's. So now we will go over all the responsibilites of each person at the scoretable. If the people don't like they can leave. If I hurt someone's feelings to bad.

My partner and I had a good game only to start second guessing ourselves do to the dumbas* at the table.

Rocyroad, I feel your pain