The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Just wanted to share with the board I've got my biggest games to date this week. This my third year reffing and last year I did mostly HS girls and a couple non-league mismatched boys games. This week I've got my first league HS boys JV and V games between top contenders.

Tuesday night-two time Asian International/Military schools tournament champion vs American army base HS team.
Friday night- Same International school vs. Largest International school in Japan.

I'm looking forward to it.-And hoping I don't screw up. The Tuesday night game should be interesting as it is on the base which can make for a vocal crowd. Not sure yet but the game might even be televised on US military base TV. Compared to the States these are probably only AA or AAA teams but the best I can get here in Japan. The only thing better is to ref the Navy base's HS team vs. the Army base's team which is a big grudge match and almost definitely televised.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 09:55am
In Memoriam

Shine yer shoes and have a ball!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
I'm looking forward to it.-And hoping I don't screw up.
If you're like me, you'll do fabulous in the big game, and wonder why you haven't been moving up any faster. Then the 7th grade game you have the next day, or the day after that, will be a royal mess. You'll use "over the back", report fouls on the players who took the foul not gave it, call a time out when the wrong team has the ball, and slip on the endline and fall flat on your face. Just remember you're never as good as your best game, and you're not as bad as your worst.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
I'm looking forward to it.-And hoping I don't screw up.
If you're like me, you'll do fabulous in the big game, and wonder why you haven't been moving up any faster. Then the 7th grade game you have the next day, or the day after that, will be a royal mess. You'll use "over the back", report fouls on the players who took the foul not gave it, call a time out when the wrong team has the ball, and slip on the endline and fall flat on your face. Just remember you're never as good as your best game, and you're not as bad as your worst.
Well I've only done MS games once this year and evidentally it was my worst I've ever done. At least that's the way the coaches reacted.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
At least that's the way the coaches reacted.
You KNOW that doesn't count. You have to learn to analyze your own game, or find a reliable observer. You'll know it if your big game goes well. You'll know it if the MS game the next day doesn't.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc

Well I've only done MS games once this year and evidentally it was my worst I've ever done. At least that's the way the coaches reacted.
The higher the level of play, the better the coaches. There is a reason they are not coaching at a higher level.

Mregor