The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wrong Basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11626-wrong-basket.html)

Tweet Sun Jan 11, 2004 05:26pm

Hi My name is Alen, i have been reading this board for over half a year now but never particiapted. So I Thought it is time to start now.

I had a game last nite with younger kids. It was beginning of 2nd half and i handed the ball to the inbounder of Team A who threw the ball in play. His teammate must have been sleeping because he went to his backcourt and shot the ball onto his own basket. He missed and team B got the rebound.

But instead of throwing the ball in that basket they went into Their backcourt and threw the ball into their own basket.

We gave the 2 points to team A who should be scoring into that basket and made the players go in the proper directions.

How would you guys have handled this?

[Edited by Tweet on Jan 11th, 2004 at 04:28 PM]

BktBallRef Sun Jan 11, 2004 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Tweet
Hi My name is Alen, i have been reading this board for over half a year now but never particiapted. So I Thought it is time to start now.

I had a game last nite with younger kids. It was beginning of 2nd half and i handed the ball to the inbounder of Team A who threw the ball in play. His teammate must have been sleeping because he went to his backcourt and shot the ball onto his own basket. He missed and team B got the rebound.

But instead of throwing the ball in that basket they went into Their backcourt and threw the ball into their own basket.

We gave the 2 points to team A who should be scoring into that basket and made the players go in the proper directions.

How would you gus have handled this?

The basket should have been credited to the team that shot the ball. Once you discover the mistake, turn them around in the right direction. Everything else counts as if they had been going in the correct direction.

rgaudreau Sun Jan 11, 2004 05:44pm

Why didn't you call the backcourt violation?

BigJoe Sun Jan 11, 2004 05:52pm

I agree!!! If you knew it was the wrong basket it must be a backcourt violation. However, if you didn't realize they were going at the wrong baskets, once you did realize it, you must get them going in the right direction. This is why it is very important that you make the teams go to the basket opposite their bench in the first half and toward their bench in the second. This way you will always know which way they should be going. I see in the lower levels kids complaining that they warmed up at that basket and they want to start in that direction. Make them go the right way. This way you always know which way is up!!!!

rainmaker Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:29pm

P.S. Just so that future communications don't get mixed up, Team A SHOULD shoot at their own basket. If they shoot in the wrong basket, it's B's basket. This is the opposite of football and soccer and hockey, where Team A is defending their own goal, and scoring in Team B's goal.