The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I had my first two 3-person mechanics game today. Working an 8th grade tournament (dont laugh ok) The head of our "association" has been around all day. Former Big 12; SEC; Div I Official; He helps out our varsity assignors by filling in last minute cancelations and the like... He knows my parter and I are moving up in a respective state chapters and asks how familar we are with 3-man... I've read about it, did one night of it at camp this summer, sat through discussions and hanging out here and the nwatching other officials work it... Well my partner was the same - done some 3 man scrimmages and such. Supervior/HOA was like - ok we're doing three man... you'll guys benefit from it sooo much...
So we did the 3/4th place game as a practice almost- got the basics down- got together on everytime out to see what we needed to work on and such. After the game he sat down with each of us and critiqued us. I was a bad C. Need to be a 3-man T and not a 2-man T... something I probably could have worked on and fixed if I had had one more game (his comment not mine) My L was OK; but really good considering I didnt have real post play to focus on so I wondered a little bit. All of our rotations were smooth and none all of the coaches said it made for a better game having the extra guy. It was a great experince to learn and have fun at the same time. It did get rid of the same ol same ol 8th grade ball we had been watching all day.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
The more and more you work the 3-man system, the easier it will become and before you know it, you will be instructing 3-man mechanics at your local association meetings.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I enjoyed the 3 man mechanics... I felt really good about it after the 2nd game wish we had rune more games that way. The more i worked it the better i felt and the more i understood how and why rotate I had a tendency to recah for as center and my supervior would look at me point at his eyes then straight to remind me to look staright as c and you'll see what you need to in ur area.

Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
ace,

I'll be at your school tomorrow night at 7pm. Be there or be square.