Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Rookie Official Questions:

1)Regarding backcourt violations:
If Team A has established front court status with the ball (ball and both feet in the front court), is it a backcourt violation for the player with the ball to put just a toe on the center line?

Also- if Team A has the ball with frontcourt status, shoots, the ball hits the rim, and then team A gets the rebound and promptly throws the ball into backcourt (with or without it being touched by a defender)is this a backcourt violation?

2)Sometimes I find myself anticipating a call and begining to raise my arm for a foul only to drop it quickly when the player scores the basket. Assuming there was no foul, am I correct in just ignoring my hand raise and acting as if it never happened?

Thanks
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. Backcourt violation both times. The line is considered part of the backcourt. A player with the ball must be past the line to establish front court status, and then need only touch the line to commit a backcourt violation.
Once the rebound is secured (in the front court), FC status has been achieved, and a pass to the backcourt teammate would be a violation.

2. You are correct. Starting to raise your arm means nothing, but it does get you some heat from coaches and fans. Slow down, and consentrate on slowing your whistle down a second. This will help you make sure you saw what you thought you saw. Quick whistles often lead to inadvertent whistles, which are never good.

Adam
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by stripes52
Rookie Official Questions:

1)Regarding backcourt violations:
If Team A has established front court status with the ball (ball and both feet in the front court), is it a backcourt violation for the player with the ball to put just a toe on the center line?

Also- if Team A has the ball with frontcourt status, shoots, the ball hits the rim, and then team A gets the rebound and promptly throws the ball into backcourt (with or without it being touched by a defender)is this a backcourt violation?

2)Sometimes I find myself anticipating a call and begining to raise my arm for a foul only to drop it quickly when the player scores the basket. Assuming there was no foul, am I correct in just ignoring my hand raise and acting as if it never happened?

Thanks
1. Center line is part of the backcourt so the answer is yes.

1. Also- If A controls the ball then we have a BC violation.

No whistle, play on. You might have some more observant coaches asking what happened though.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
1. Backcourt violation both times. The line is considered part of the backcourt. A player with the ball must be past the line to establish front court status, and then need only touch the line to commit a backcourt violation.
Once the rebound is secured (in the front court), FC status has been achieved, and a pass to the backcourt teammate would be a violation.

2. You are correct. Starting to raise your arm means nothing, but it does get you some heat from coaches and fans. Slow down, and consentrate on slowing your whistle down a second. This will help you make sure you saw what you thought you saw. Quick whistles often lead to inadvertent whistles, which are never good.

Adam
I totally agree with Dan and Snaqwells. On your 1-Also question, there's just this distinction to be made. If A "bats" or "tips" the rebound into the backcourt and never really gains "possession" then the play is legal, although you'll get some words from B's coach and fans. If there's very much control at all, it's probably possession, and then the play is illegal.