The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Interaction with Coach - A First! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11590-interaction-coach-first.html)

firedoc Fri Jan 09, 2004 06:35pm

I worked a JV boys game last evening where both teams were very good with excellent ball movement and quite good skills for their level. 3 fouls called in the first half. Tonight the home team coach (the losing team) called me at home to compliment my partner and I on the fine game we officiated. In the 8 years I'm doing this, this has never happened.

Have any of you ever had something like this happen or do you know if it has happened to any of your colleagues?

Ref Daddy Fri Jan 09, 2004 06:40pm

be careful

Snake~eyes Fri Jan 09, 2004 07:00pm

How did he get your home number? :(

firedoc Fri Jan 09, 2004 07:31pm

Our association (IAABO) publishes a list of members with names, addresses, phone numbers. Now that you mention it, this is probably NOT a good idea.

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jan 09, 2004 07:34pm

The association I work under has all of the officials listed on their website, with phone numbers and email addresses. Same goes for the state activities association, which publishes a directory of officials, which of course has the same info printed in them.

rainmaker Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by firedoc
Have any of you ever had something like this happen or do you know if it has happened to any of your colleagues?
I have had a couple of coaches tell the assignor what a good job I did. Now THAT is money in the bank!!

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:58pm

Yeah, I've had the same experience. I've had coaches or AD's contact the assignors (I work under 2 associations for basketball) with compliments. One of the assignors actually told me about them, and keeps begging me to work more!

Dan_ref Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by firedoc
I worked a JV boys game last evening where both teams were very good with excellent ball movement and quite good skills for their level. 3 fouls called in the first half. Tonight the home team coach (the losing team) called me at home to compliment my partner and I on the fine game we officiated. In the 8 years I'm doing this, this has never happened.

If this happened to me I would be just a little uncomfortable about it.

Rich Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:26am

In some areas where coaches or AD assign home games a call from a school is SOP.

Where I live now, I would think nothing of such a call. I would probably send him my availability after this call and tell him that I'd be happy to come back to his school.

Actually this has happened to me this season, just that the coach/AD communicated via email.

JRutledge Sat Jan 10, 2004 01:44am

It has happen a few times.

I have been called by coaches wanting me back. At least at the places where the AD/schools do the assigning.

Just be polite and thank them. Not much else you can do. But just like anything, watch what you say and be short.

Peace