The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Adjusting to your partner (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11578-adjusting-your-partner.html)

Jay R Fri Jan 09, 2004 09:40am

I was working with a rookie last night who did a pretty good job, all things consisdered. JV Boys. This guy played at a high level so he may become a good official.

However, we had a play on the baseline where A4 was driving and B5 got in a legal guading position (very obvious). When contact occured, my partner called a block. Probably his only bad call of the night in terms of judgement.

A few minutes later, we had a drive on the other end that was a clear player control foul although the defensive player was moving backwards, it was clear to me. I called the PC foul.

I did however reflect on the fact that I also could have called a block. It would have meant that I would have been more consistent with my partner and we would not have had two consecutive fouls go against tha same team.

Looking back on it, I don't regret calling the PC because I believe it was the right call. But I am curious about other opinions. Do you let your partner's calls affect yours?

ChuckElias Fri Jan 09, 2004 09:45am

You don't want consistency if that means "consistently bad". Make the right call. You did fine.

Gmoore Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:04am

I am one of those rookie refs 2nd year in calling

If I was your partner Jay knowing that you had more games under your belt I would be doing my best to pick up on several things from you from postioning,to comparing your call to what i saw in my mind just to see if I saw what you called( is that a tongue twister?). I would like for you to call your game in hopes of helping me become a better official. And please go over those types of calls with us "rookies" after the game.

mick Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay R
But I am curious about other opinions. Do you let your partner's calls affect yours?
I do not let a partner's mistake affect my game, except for possibly increasing my focus.
mick

Mark Dexter Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:17am

Consistency, IMO, goes to whether to call/not call borderline fouls, small travels in lower level games, stuff like that.

Changing a PC foul to a block only serves against consistency, as the teams will now be expecting that call from every officiating crew in existance.

Malcolm Tucker Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:26pm

Jay

You did the right thing.

Some time ago in a senior men's game my partner no-called a charge/block situation where the defender hit the deck. It happened under his nose in area 4 on lead so as trail even tho I could get a good look I did not even think about a call. But shortly thereafter I had the same situation down the other end and for so called consistency I as well passed on a call and it caused me nothing but grief for the rest of the game. I knew immediatley that I blew it and realised that that is not what consistency is about. These problems should be overcome by a good pregame and a little talk at the breaks.

Rich Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker
Jay

You did the right thing.

Some time ago in a senior men's game my partner no-called a charge/block situation where the defender hit the deck. It happened under his nose in area 4 on lead so as trail even tho I could get a good look I did not even think about a call. But shortly thereafter I had the same situation down the other end and for so called consistency I as well passed on a call and it caused me nothing but grief for the rest of the game. I knew immediatley that I blew it and realised that that is not what consistency is about. These problems should be overcome by a good pregame and a little talk at the breaks.

A defender going to the floor doesn't always draw a whistle from me. If the defender is responsible for the contact and goes down and it doesn't affect the player with the ball, I'll no call it.

I won't, however, stand there and make the "get up" motion I've seen some officials make :)

If both players go down after contact, I'll have a whistle every time. Someone was put at a disadvantage.

tomegun Fri Jan 09, 2004 01:55pm

Quote:

Probably his only bad call of the night in terms of judgement.

How do you know this while working with him?

Jay R Fri Jan 09, 2004 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:

Probably his only bad call of the night in terms of judgement.

How do you know this while working with him?

You got me there.

The only bad call that I noticed while we had dual coverage. I must admit that I did pay more attention to his calls and mechanics than I normally do. My assignor had asked me to help him out as much as possible.