The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 02:05am
Get away from me, Steve.

I usually avoid rec ball (adult or youth) whenever I can help it. Sure, the extra money is nice and frankly the thought of the money is one of the only things that helps me get out of bed and work games at 8AM Saturdays. But once I get going I usually have a pretty good time.

Well, I also have a hard time saying no.

So, here's my Saturday.

I get out of bed, throw a uniform on, and head to the local rec center for three games.

I arrive a few minutes before the first game and my partner is there. I was going to engage him in some conversation (most rec games here are worked without a pregame -- you wouldn't be able to get most rec only guys to pregame, IMO, and I'm not sure it would help) but he wasn't actually in the gym until about a minute before the game started.

Game starts. Within five minutes he called my line FOUR times. And we're not talking about an innocent error. He literally called 3 out of bounds calls on MY sideline in front of my face and then, to cap it all off, called one on the baseline when I was the lead and the ball went out on my side. Now, I know this can happen with untrained rec refs, and I was more than prepared to let this water run down my back.

I was also willing to ignore the fact that he was clearly watching the ball 100% of the time. I mean, how else would he be able to (as the lead) signal EVERY three point shot attempt, even those where the shooter was an inch behind the line at the top of the key on my side of the court?

But then, the little incident that pushed me over the edge happened. He calls a foul in my primary -- a shooting foul -- while he was the trail. I can even deal with that. But then, out of habit, I committed the unpardonable sin of switching and moving out to the trail position for the free throws. Now, I work rec ball and I know most rec officials don't ALWAYS switch on EVERY foul. But I always switch on shooting fouls and my partners usually do, too.

Well, this was enough for him to stop the game and attempt to dress me down in front of the players and the people at the table and the parents. He calls me a "rookie" since he's a "veteran" of this youth program and tells me that this isn't the WIAA and that we aren't going to switch on every d@mned foul. In front of everyone.

Well, at this point my mouth got ahead of my head. I stepped forward and said, "well, if you're not going to do anything else right, why do that right?"

Well, he stopped play and "commanded" me to come to him for a "conference." This with everyone watching us like the idiots we are. I told him I wasn't coming there and that he should just put the ball in play. Eventually, he realized I wasn't budging and he put the ball in play.

At halftime, I ended up talking to 3 people that have some role in running this program and all asked me to stay and told me that this official has a habit of acting up and that they'd make sure I'm not scheduled with him again. Now, to this program's credit, they go out of their way to provide a professional atmosphere for these kids. They stress to the kids that the shorts will be up and the shirts will be in the shorts. They require officials to wear full uniforms, including pants (no shorts) to work the games. They also provide training where they try to get officials to use NFHS mechanics.

But in the end, I'm kinda disappointed at the experience. BTW, I know that this other guy is more valuable to the program than I am -- I'm not willing to be a full-time rec official and that's all this guy does. At the same time, I'm disappointed that I wasn't flexible enough to just go with the flow during games that were played in a rec program. But I let my mouth get the best of me.

We didn't say a word to each other for the last 2.5 games. And we actually didn't work too badly, even though he continued to call all kinds of stuff in my areas.

Fast forward ahead to the same afternoon. I received a call from someone the previous (Friday) afternoon looking for an official for an alumni tournament at the high school in the town where I live. These alumni tourneys are very popular in WI and all the old classes come back and the older classes get points based on how much older they are than recent teams. I've only been here since last year and know none of the basketball players from the town. Since I can't say no, I agreed to help out since the pay was good and the game was close to the house.

So we start. I'm working with a guy who is a high school ref, probably JV level at best. Typical rec ball -- what the players lost in speed and skill they've gained in mouth.

First half went well. Only 8 fouls called and no complaints. Second half starts with the younger team catching up to the handicap the older team received. First time down the floor, older guy drives baseline and beats defender to a spot -- collision, block. Whining ensues. We put the ball back in play and very soon thereafter one of the younger alums drives down the middle and SMEARS a defender that was pretty much planted right under the basket. PC foul. To me, a no-brainer. A totally out-of-control drive, too.

Well, the player gets right in my face and tells me loudly what he thought of my call. Whack. Well, there goes my perfect season (no technicals until that one, although I'm not sure it counts ) . PC foul was his 3rd foul and the ensuing whack was his 4th. I hear someone on the bench refer to me as the "worst ref in the world" which caused me to smile because I immediately thought how I may have worked with him earlier in the day.

Anyhow, the game ended and I was out in the lobby changing shoes. Player is talking to someone and is "explaining" why I made a bad call -- he mentioned the circle around the hoop and how that contact HAS to be a block even though the defender had position.

Shaking my head, I walked out the door and drove home to the first NFL game and my first beer of the day.

Rich

PS - Friday night I had a great HS boys game. Home team got down 14-0 and 18-4 at the end of the first quarter. Visiting team scored only 16 points in the last three quarters and the home team came back to win 42-34. Low scoring, but one of the best comebacks I've ever seen.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 02:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking 1000 Reasons and counting.

Rich,

You just gave me another reason to not to any rec. games.

Peace

Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 06:50am
Huck Finn

Rich, I can't see how you lasted that long without saying anything to your partner. I understand that the other guy might be more valuable to this league than you are but there will always be a rec league that needs you. You could possitively effect one ref or one player and be a credit to the game. I feel your pain.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I think I know your P

Are his initials JL and lives where you do?

Mregor
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Wink

When I moved to Indiana 4 years ago, I arrived at the very beginning of basketball season. I decided not to call in our local association in order to get more comfortable with my job. Since I work in recreation, I began to get calls for various AAU games and tournaments. I went on Sunday to do what I thought was 7th grade girls. They were a bit short handed and my games became 4th grade girls. My partner was the assistant coach for the local middle schools boys team. He knew it all. From the first tip, he called everything. My line, his line, my area, his area. Much like Rich, I was beginning to get rather pissed and was going to say something to him at halftime fo the first game. Then I realized a strange thing was happening. Since he was calling everything, he was taking all the heat. coaches, parents, everyone, was yelling at him. So for the next 2 and a half games, I wandered up and down the court. If he had a call in front of me, I put the ball in. If I made 3 calls each game, I would be surprised. One coach was smart enough to ask me about him making a call in front of me. I told him that he must have had a better look at the play than I did.

As far as rec ball...when I was younger and need the money in college or grad school, I'd do it. Now, not likely. Had a local town call back in November. Good deal, $30 a game, 2 games a night. Almost said yess until the comment was made that they had problems in the past and needed people who would take care of them. Sorry, too busy.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 12:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: I think I know your P

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Are his initials JL and lives where you do?

Mregor
Nope, but assuming you are working that Saturday league at WP, you may run into him at some point.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 12:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Rich, I can't see how you lasted that long without saying anything to your partner. I understand that the other guy might be more valuable to this league than you are but there will always be a rec league that needs you. You could possitively effect one ref or one player and be a credit to the game. I feel your pain.
Knowing this person's demeanor, I just couldn't possibly think of a way to say the words that needed to be said. I think the direct way works with people who want to learn, but not always with people who don't.

I am working more in this league, but only with my regular HS partner
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 01:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I am working more in this league, but only with my regular HS partner
Rich - too bad you don't live in my area. You would really enjoy working our local rec league. With only one exception, all the refs are really nice to work with, even the newbies. I wouldn't have it any other way.

BTW - I always schedule that "one exception" with a "forceful" experienced ref so he can't do too much damage. Unfortunately, politics dictates we schedule him.

Oh well, one 1 out of 40 isn't too bad.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
--BTW - I always schedule that "one exception" with a "forceful" experienced ref so he can't do too much damage. Unfortunately, politics dictates we schedule him.
So, why do I have to work with "him" this Sat!?!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
--BTW - I always schedule that "one exception" with a "forceful" experienced ref so he can't do too much damage. Unfortunately, politics dictates we schedule him.
Because you are such a "forceful experienced" ref.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 11:01am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Quote:
HAHA. Juulie really got me here. She's working with me this Saturday.

Don't worry, I'll find some way to get even.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
P.S. I was scheduled to work with ABC last Saturday, but game cancelled at last minute. Whew! Thank goodness for bad weather.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 01:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
P.S. I was scheduled to work with ABC last Saturday, but game cancelled at last minute. Whew! Thank goodness for bad weather.
For those of you out there wondering what the inside joke is between Juulie and me about "ABC", here's an explanation.

The guy's name begins with the letter "C". Whenever you ask someone around here to request a partner they say, "Anybody But C....", hence the nickname for him of "ABC".
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
For those of you out there wondering what the inside joke is between Juulie and me about "ABC", here's an explanation.

The guy's name begins with the letter "C". Whenever you ask someone around here to request a partner they say, "Anybody But C....", hence the nickname for him of "ABC".
I didn't realize you guys are in Springfield
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I didn't realize you guys are in Springfield
You mean Springfield, MO, right? No? Springfield, IL? No? Colorado? Kentucky? Louisiana? Nebraska? New Hampshire? New Jersey? No?

Screw you guys. I'm going home. . . to Springfield, MA.