The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SportsPlayByPlay
I officiate basketball and I during dinner tonight, I was asked these two questions regarding backcourt play. Please let me know if I am correct...

(1) Question: Team A is in the backcourt trying to break Team B's full court pressure. Player for Team A, while behind Team B's 3-pt. line, throws a cross-court pass, that hits the rim of Team B's basket and falls in. How many points does Team B get for the Team A's mistake.

My answer: 2 points. Even though the Team A Player was behind Team B's 3-pt. line, the line is only in effect on Team B's side of the court, when Team B has possesion. Am I right? And do you all follow?

Question # 2: Same scenario, except this time, during Team A's cross-court pass behind Team B's 3-pt. line, a defender for Team B deflects the pass BEHIND HIS OWN 3-pt. line and miraculously falls in. How many points are awarded for Team B?

My answer: Not really knowing, I said 3 points. I am second-guessing myself now, because Team B did not have possession of the ball, it was just a deflection. What do you all think?

I'll appreciate any feedback.... Thanks

SportsPlayByPlay
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

It is two points in both cases. Rule 4-40 Article 2:
A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score two or three points when throwing the ball into a team's OWN basket. A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgment is throwing or attempting to throw for goal.
In this case, both baskets were accidental therefore they were NOT a result of a try so only two points can be scored.
In the case book, case 4.39.4B answers both of your questions.
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lee Jones
Joe made the comment that the ball in cases A and B went in the basket "accidentally". This has no bearing at all on this play. In all circumstances where A shoots the ball into B's basket, it can only be a maximum of 2 points, because shooting the ball into the opponent's goal is not a try. A try must be attempted at a team's basket.
Old Mon Nov 15, 1999, 04:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Jones on 11-15-1999 02:56 PM
Joe made the comment that the ball in cases A and B went in the basket "accidentally". This has no bearing at all on this play. In all circumstances where A shoots the ball into B's basket, it can only be a maximum of 2 points, because shooting the ball into the opponent's goal is not a try. A try must be attempted at a team's basket.

Actually Lee, the fact that in the second scenario the touch was 'accidental" does have a bearing on the number of points. If the touching by B1 was to attempt to direct the ball into B's basket, then it qualifies as a "tap" and 3 points would be awarded. Since it was just a deflection and therefore "accidental", it's only two. As I have said before on other posts, I have never seen a 3-point "tap" and would love to do so someday.