Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Hiring Demographics

Big Dave -
I have been on the receiving end of the "fast track" and have faced adversity of conference barriers. Should officials become less motivated when faced with adversity? Absolutely not! Remember you never know when you may get your chance...and as mentioned a couple of times, you gotta be able to handle the game at the next level or you won't last - regardless of color. Do I think it's necessary to hire a good mix? Yes, as important as it is to hire from various locations! What if all officials in the SEC were from Atlanta?! Or the PAC 10 out of Washington? Certainly this is outside the question your asking, but the analogy can be applied for many situations.
Without trying to sound "get over it", society as well as officials are going to be faced with difficulties dealing with minority issues. It's an issue as long as you make it an issue. Why stir up closed minded people? Big Dave, take a good look at yourself and ask if you've put in the time? If you have, stay positive and know your time will come. Also understand the need for a diverse officiating world and the challenges assignors face to seek out hard to recruit areas. If officials put as much energies into recruiting, helping, and supporting their fellow officals-as they do berating we'd have no problem putting the best on the floor. Good luck with you future and keep plugging.
And to "Savoir-vivre"-I'm impressed with your doctoral vocabulary. I bet your a pleasure to communicate with on a basketball floor...know your audience
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 02:11pm
Administrator

Folks - I think that this topic has been exhausted... I'm closing this thread...

Thanks,
Brad
Closed Thread