The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
This is one thing I've always had a hard time with. Players sliding on the floor, or falling down and sliding on thier back or stomachs with the ball.... is this a travel because they never took a step.

Situations

A1 fast break decides h e wants to stops throws his right foot down witih his left foot already on the ground and slides on bothe feet? Travel or no call?

A1 dribbles to the basket looses his balance for some reasons falls on this back and slides... travel or no call?

Checked the rule books - couldnt find anything. MAybe I wasnt looking hard enough.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
If a player has already possessed the ball and then slides, as in your two examples, it is a violation. He has illegally moved his pivot foot. The only time that sliding with the ball is legal is when in the act of possessing the ball you are sliding on the floor. In this instance you can slide as far as your momentum will allow you to without it being a violation.

Now all of the experts will tell you the other parts of the rule and probably quote you chapter and verse.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
A1 fast break decides he wants to stops throws his right foot down witih his left foot already on the ground and slides on bothe feet? Travel or no call?
Traveling.

Quote:
A1 dribbles to the basket looses his balance for some reasons falls on this back and slides... travel or no call?
If he's dribbling when he falls to the floor, it's not traveling.

If he holds the ball after hitting the floor, and then slides, it's not traveling.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
This is one thing I've always had a hard time with. Players sliding on the floor, or falling down and sliding on thier back or stomachs with the ball.... is this a travel because they never took a step.

Situations

A1 fast break decides h e wants to stops throws his right foot down witih his left foot already on the ground and slides on bothe feet? Travel or no call?

Checked the rule books - couldnt find anything. MAybe I wasnt looking hard enough.
In situation 2 if he had his dribble and gained possession
on the floor,no violation.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 04:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ace

Check out R4-43-5 and case book plays 4.43.5SitA,B,C&D.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Thanks JR - thats what i was looking for - rule and case book plays.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Ace,
You said you do a lot of Middle School and AAU games?

Many of the gyms these games are played in are less than desirable, as far as the condition of the floor. Many times the floor has not been swept properly, etc.

Veterans have suggested to let the little slide go if the floor is dirty and/or the level of play is lower caliber.

RD