The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Disconcertion (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11370-disconcertion.html)

Kevin Dunn Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:39am

Does the disconcertion rule apply to bench personnel from the opposing team?

rainmaker Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Kevin Dunn
We've talked about this in the past, and I think we concluded that by the book, it doesn't, but in reality it might, but to weigh the situation carefully. If the shooter is clearly discombobulated by something, give the replacement shot. But just because they make noise, you don't automatically stop them. For me, it depends on the level of play. At freshman girls' or below, I'm pretty strict about it. Above that, you just have to judge by the results.

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 23, 2003 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

We've talked about this in the past, and I think we concluded that by the book, it doesn't, but in reality it might, but to weigh the situation carefully.

The FED issued a ruling about 3/4 years ago that said that you definitely could call disconcertion on the bench.

BktBallRef Tue Dec 23, 2003 02:07pm

I don't think that's what we concluded, rainmaker.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

We've talked about this in the past, and I think we concluded that by the book, it doesn't, but in reality it might, but to weigh the situation carefully.

The FED issued a ruling about 3/4 years ago that said that you definitely could call disconcertion on the bench.

Agreed. Rule states "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." An opponent is any participant of the opposing team.

rainmaker Tue Dec 23, 2003 08:35pm

Re: I don't think that's what we concluded, rainmaker.

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. Rule states "No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower." An opponent is any participant of the opposing team.

Okay, I'd rather have it this way anyway. Why do I not remember something which turned out the way I want it!?!?

BktBallRef Tue Dec 23, 2003 09:32pm

Re: Re: I don't think that's what we concluded, rainmaker.

Quote:

Okay, I'd rather have it this way anyway. Why do I not remember something which turned out the way I want it!?!?
You've got DeNucci on the brain! :D