The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ok...who of us is the guilty one that was the first one to tell a coach somewhere "he was set" or "he wasnt set"?

A1 freight trains B1 driving down the lane. Tweet, Player Control! Easy right! OH Noo..."He wasnt set"

Why is it so difficult for coaches to understand that any player is entitled to any spot on the floor provided s/he gets there first?

And while I am on a roll...who taught kids to flop! A1 drive and taps....not bumps, not pushes, not freight trains...taps B1 going by and B1 flops and B wants charge?!?.....UHHH Coach...can he bench press a ream of paper?? If not, we'll give you that charge...otherwise...Get up and lets go!

Sorry had to vent. HOWLER MONKEYS IN FULL EFFECT LAST NIGHT
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I think what confuses coaches is that they don't know the difference between the rules pertaining to a dribbler and an airborne shooter.

Once A1 goes airborne, B1 can't move under A1 to draw a charge. Some coaches then stretch that understanding to thinking that B1 has to be "set" if contact occurs while A1 is a dribbler as well.

Z
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

A good way to stop the flopping is when it happens look straight down at the offender and say "Get up", it tends to make them not do it anymore.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I think what confuses coaches is that they don't know the difference between the rules pertaining to a dribbler and an airborne shooter.

Once A1 goes airborne, B1 can't move under A1 to draw a charge. Some coaches then stretch that understanding to thinking that B1 has to be "set" if contact occurs while A1 is a dribbler as well.

Z
I don't think you are giving us howler monkeys enough credit. We are not confusing the two rules, we have two sets of rules. Remember, the same coach who says "Come on, he wasn't set" when his guy draws the PC will turn to the other rule book when there is a block. You then hear "Come on, the guy charged right into him!"

I would also like to point out that the art of coaching the flop seems to have vanished. Years ago, Lefty Dreisel taught it very specifically. His player would make sure that the opponent was chest-to-chest with him, then grab the front of the opponent's jersey and fall backward, bringing the opponent down on top of him. (I actually saw a tape of him teaching this.) It took a few years before all the ACC officials were on to it, but in the meantime they would get one or two calls every couple of games. Now that was high art!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

You all are right, but. . .

In most cases when charges are drawn and called, the defender moves in such a way that he must get set in order to draw a charge. The first is obviously the airborne shooter example. Another is a player who gains a step on the player he is guarding and then jumps into the path of the dribbler. A third would be jumping into a trap that is being set directly in the offensive player's line of motion.

While it is clearly a charge to change course into a moving defender who has established legal guarding position, this is the least frequently called charge. So while it is a rule and can be enforced, it is enough out of the norm of what is really called in games that most coaches, players, and fans are used to seeing charging called only when a defender is truly set. And some refs will only call it that way as well - so start by informing them before criticizing the coaches. So there is good reason that you hear this.