The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 02:15pm
Huck Finn

What do you guys think of the service from The Officials Choice? I came from a non-IAABO state and I have needed the shirts for a couple of weeks now. In fact I didn't really know what IAABO was until a couple of months ago. So, I have to buy some shirts and I think I'm a good consumer meaning I'm willing to pay for a product and the shipping speed of my choice. All I want is what I pay for or an honest "we don't have that in stock right now." I haven't received this and of course there is only one place to get the shirts from! If anyone knows of another source for a shirt, black and white or grey, with the IAABO logo embroidered on it please tell me.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 02:23pm
If you need me, text me!

There isn't another choice.

IAABO has a relationship set up with Officials Choice to carry IAABO products. I have never seen them available anywhere else.

Do you have to have a shirt with the IAABO logo? If so, for what levels?
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
Being a first year ref, everyone in our class had to order shirts, pants, shoes, everything. Guys who ordered from Official's Choice waited, waited, waited, sometimes up to 4 weeks. Anyone who ordered from Hoenig's got turnover within 3 or 4 days tops. I'm not sure of the patches however, as we are not allowed to wear them until we pass our test (2nd year).
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rob.wilson
Question

What are the advantages of being IAABO certified? I am already NFHS certified. How much different is the test too?
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rob.wilson
What are the advantages of being IAABO certified? I am already NFHS certified. How much different is the test too?
Rob, for a lengthy discussion, see this recent thread: http://www.officialforum.com/thread/10746
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 05:29pm
Huck Finn

Rob, if you think your question is good think about officiating for 8-10 years and then going to a IAABO "board." Then you would really have that "what is this for" question about IAABO.

I can't believe the customer service from this company. If they had some competition they would change the way they do business.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Rob, if you think your question is good think about officiating for 8-10 years and then going to a IAABO "board." Then you would really have that "what is this for" question about IAABO.

I can't believe the customer service from this company. If they had some competition they would change the way they do business.

Welcome to the group who thinks that officials choice service stinks. I am still waiting for MTD to join this discusion and give his opinion on them being allowed to continue with their monopoly on the IAABO products. He is always a strong supporter of IAABO but for some reason has ignored these topic. C'mon MTD-what do you think? I for one have concerns over whether the relationship between IAABO and officials choice is all above the table.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:

Welcome to the group who thinks that officials choice service stinks. I am still waiting for MTD to join this discusion and give his opinion on them being allowed to continue with their monopoly on the IAABO products. He is always a strong supporter of IAABO but for some reason has ignored these topic. C'mon MTD-what do you think? I for one have concerns over whether the relationship between IAABO and officials choice is all above the table.
First, lets not confuse The Official's Choice with IAABO. The Official's Choice is a mail order officiating equipment business, just like Honig's, POS, Purchase Officials Supplies, Flemings, or all of the other mail order officiating equipment business that are out there.

Personally, I buy 98% of my basketball and baseball/softball officiating equipment from Torch's Referee & Umpires Supplies (the Florida distrubutor for Purchase Officials Supplies) and the other 2% from Purchase Officials Suppplies. I buy my OhioHSAA umpiring hats from Flemings because they and Honigs' are the only business allowed to sell OhioHSAA equipment. I buy my soccer officiating equipment from who ever I please.

Second, IAABO can sell the rights to sell its equipment to whoever it pleases. If you do not want to buy from The Official's Choice, then by all means do not buy from them.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 07:42am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Second, IAABO can sell the rights to sell its equipment to whoever it pleases. If you do not want to buy from The Official's Choice, then by all means do not buy from them. [/B]
Mark, I agree with you 100% except if there is only one company that sells anything IAABO and your "board" says you have to wear shirts and jackets with the IAABO logo on it. I have no choice using them. I haven't had this problem with any other business that sells officiating supplies. There is something strange about how all of these other companies let you pay for a product and they send you that product. It is called doing business and customer service. The Officials Choice isn't doing a good job of realizing this. It is almost like they don't care about repeat customers or word of mouth advertising. All of the places you mentioned that I've done business with have been great. Also, Officials Choice has their own brand of shirt and the sizes are bigger than normal. A medium from them is like a large Cliff Keen. I have plenty of shirts but only one (a grey one that has the logo and is a large which is too big) with the IAABO logo on it. I have 3 jackets but none with the logo. I don't really like to sew the patch on because I'm just finicky about the way I look on the court.

If all of this isn't enough, I'm having a hard time swallowing IAABO anyway. I didn't start with them and I don't have IAABO running through my blood. The national federation hands down the rules and the places I've been in the past train accordingly. It is like IAABO is something added on top. As far as my local board, the rules guy is great but so are many others throughout the country. Just like that, there are many great officials across the country that do not have anything to do with IAABO. I have been judged to some extent by my IAABO years of experience. Well I have 0 IAABO years. However I do have many years doing games that are governed by the National Federation and the game experience to go with my years. I also have some blunt mentors who paid attention to the smallest detail. Add all of this up and you have frustration and this post. Thank you for reading.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:

First, lets not confuse The Official's Choice with IAABO. The Official's Choice is a mail order officiating equipment business, just like Honig's, POS, Purchase Officials Supplies, Flemings, or all of the other mail order officiating equipment business that are out there.

Personally, I buy 98% of my basketball and baseball/softball officiating equipment from Torch's Referee & Umpires Supplies (the Florida distrubutor for Purchase Officials Supplies) and the other 2% from Purchase Officials Suppplies. I buy my OhioHSAA umpiring hats from Flemings because they and Honigs' are the only business allowed to sell OhioHSAA equipment. I buy my soccer officiating equipment from who ever I please.

Second, IAABO can sell the rights to sell its equipment to whoever it pleases. If you do not want to buy from The Official's Choice, then by all means do not buy from them.
Well I don't have the frusteration with IAABO as tomegun-but I see his point. For myself I am just frusterated with Official's No Choice. Let me ask you MTD-How can you be on two national IAABO boards and never buy anything from officials choice? Where do you get your uniforms with patches? If your answer is that you sew on a patch what are you going to do when your supply of patches runs out (evidentally official's choice has stop selling them individually)?

I am a proud member of IAABO but wish they sold their rights to a different company. In your national meetings have you ever heard talk of switching companies?

--On a personal note have a Merry Christmas everyone. I leave for a 2 week vacation in Saipan tomorrow. I look forward to seeing your responce MTD when I get back.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

This is the solution, buy an IAABO patch and sew it on your shirt or a black jacket.

Honigs Canada sells them for 9.99 CDN$

http://www.honigs-canada.com

They are not on the website but in the catalogue, so send the guy an e-mail, and ask him about them.

Then you can buy your shirts and jackets from whomever you please. And sew on your own patch.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I guarantee it . . . and no, ahm not George F.

Quote:
What do you guys think of the service from The Officials Choice? I came from a non-IAABO state and I have needed the shirts for a couple of weeks now. In fact I didn't really know what IAABO was until a couple of months ago. So, I have to buy some shirts and I think I'm a good consumer meaning I'm willing to pay for a product and the shipping speed of my choice. All I want is what I pay for or an honest "we don't have that in stock right now." I haven't received this and of course there is only one place to get the shirts from! If anyone knows of another source for a shirt, black and white or grey, with the IAABO logo embroidered on it please tell me.
If you're looking for shirts, you can't deal with better people than Reading Trophy and Shirt, 660 Main Street, Reading MA USA 01867-3009

Contact the estimable Mr. O'Connor via

Phone (781) 944-7171
Fax (781) 944-3429
[email protected]
http://www.readingtrophy.com/

Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

That's for

IAABO shirts . . .