The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   travelling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11166-travelling.html)

contrary1965 Wed Dec 10, 2003 05:11pm

I am a parent, not an official. I hope it is OK to post here. My question is: What is the proper way to BEGIN a dribble. My son is getting called repeatedly for travelling. He is not sliding around or picking up his pivot foot. It has something to do with his takeoff. I have searched for info and cannot find anything, so I am asking the experts! Thanks for any help you can offer.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 10, 2003 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by contrary1965
I am a parent, not an official. I hope it is OK to post here. My question is: What is the proper way to BEGIN a dribble. My son is getting called repeatedly for travelling. He is not sliding around or picking up his pivot foot. It has something to do with his takeoff. I have searched for info and cannot find anything, so I am asking the experts! Thanks for any help you can offer.
If he's getting the call when he starts his dribble, there's no other answer: He's picking up his pivot foot prior to releasing the ball.

If it was one official who repeatedly made this call, then you could attribute it to him not seeing the play or simply missing the call. But if he's repeatedly getting this call from many different officials, then he's picking up his pivot. All of those officials aren't going to be wrong.

mick Wed Dec 10, 2003 05:40pm

Quote:

contrary1965,
Like Tony, said. The pivot is probably being lifted.

Look to see which foot (pivot) is down when he receives the ball, and which foot moves when the dribble starts.

Look to see if he takes a little hop (ever so slightly) off both feet before the dribble begins. That, too, would be a violation of initiating a dribble with the pivot foot raised. I'll bet he's very quick, but his hands and feet are just a little outa timing.

mick

Hawks Coach Wed Dec 10, 2003 06:00pm

I have a couple of players who have problems with this. One plays too upright, and tend to bounce a bit. The other lifts the pivot foot when starting a strong move after a couple of good jab fakes/sweeps/fake sweeps. For the former, I am really working on getting her hips down into a good stance - when she does this her travels immediately cease. But years of habits are hard to break. The other I really emphasize feeling a strong push off the pivot foot - if you are giving a good push off when you start your move, you aren't traveling cause that pivot foot is down solid.

Dan_ref Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:00pm

Quote:

I am a parent, not an official. I hope it is OK to post here.
This wasn't addressed so I will: no, parents are not allowed here, now beat it! :p

Welcome aboard, post often!

rainmaker Thu Dec 11, 2003 09:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I am a parent, not an official. I hope it is OK to post here.
This wasn't addressed so I will: no, parents are not allowed here, now beat it! :p

Contrary --

Just in case you don't get Dan's humor, and a lot of us think he's pretty far gone, he's joking. Actually, as long as you ask your questions as politely as you did, and don't get defensive or hostile, we will be delighted to have you here. You might even get an award of some kind for being the ONLY REASONABLE PARENT IN THE U.S. We might hand out your bio and some quotes at our games. Or not, if you don't want.

As far as the travelling, if it's more than one ref calling it, maybe the timing of his release of the ball is a little late. Perhaps he could work on how his hands look on the ball, so that he's more clearly releasing earlier in the rhythm.

ChuckElias Thu Dec 11, 2003 09:50am

Quote:

no, parents are not allowed here, now beat it! :p
But Dan, I thought you had kids. . . :confused: Well, I guess there is a resemblance to the UPS guy. . . Ok, you can stay! :D

Dan_ref Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

no, parents are not allowed here, now beat it! :p
But Dan, I thought you had kids. . . :confused: Well, I guess there is a resemblance to the UPS guy. . . Ok, you can stay! :D

The UPS guy? Hmmmm...now I know why my younger son's name is Julio Jr. :eek:

ChuckElias Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:44am

LOL :) Thanks for taking it in the spirit intended!

Stan Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:26pm

Dear Contrary,

Sometimes the folks on this board are diverted easily, please excuse them. Welcome to the board. Please reread BktBallRef, Hawks Coach & Mick , et al. They are right on. I'm also surprised rainmaker didn't suggest to video tape your son during a game, she's usually suggesting refs review video of themselves to improve. My daughter is very quick and had a habit of engaging her feet before the ball was in gear. I could talk 'till I'm blue in the face but untill I showed her on tape she wouldn't listen. It has to be in game / pressure situations. Good Luck!

Thanks, Stan

[Edited by Stan on Dec 11th, 2003 at 11:31 AM]

ChuckElias Thu Dec 11, 2003 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Stan
Sometimes the folks on this board are diverted easily, please excuse them. Please reread BktBallRef, Hawks Coach & Mick , et al.
Hmmmmm, am I in the "distracted" group, or the "et. al." group? You know, my dad's name is Al. Speaking of Al, anybody think Al Sharpton has a chance in the election? I thought Matthew Broderick's character was pretty pathetic in "Election". Not a very funny movie. Although, my daughter thought the new Looney Toons movie was hysterical. Much better than "Space Jam". That one had Michael Jordan in it. Jordan's not much of an actor, but he sure was a great basketball player.

Man, I love talking hoops!!

davidw Thu Dec 11, 2003 01:44pm

Chuck,

Big LOL!

Dan_ref Thu Dec 11, 2003 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Sometimes the folks on this board are diverted easily, please excuse them. Please reread BktBallRef, Hawks Coach & Mick , et al.
Hmmmmm, am I in the "distracted" group, or the "et. al." group? You know, my dad's name is Al.

Man, I love talking hoops!!

...which is why your mom named you Chuck Jr?

ChuckElias Thu Dec 11, 2003 04:03pm

LMAO! :D

rainmaker Thu Dec 11, 2003 06:00pm

Quote:

Dear Contrary,

Sometimes the folks on this board are diverted easily, please excuse them..... I'm also surprised rainmaker didn't suggest to video tape your son during a game, she's usually suggesting refs review video of themselves to improve.

Good point, Stan, I guess I fall into the "diverted" category!