The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
Last night, Varsity boys game, I had two completely opposite teams. One team was very finesse, quick passes, good ball movement. The other team was very physical with next to no movement. It was a decent game in the first quarter until the physical team starting losing their cool/temper. At half it was a 20 point game. Early in the second half we had to "T" up one of the physical team's players for taunting, this is when it got weird. The physical team's coach started telling (not discreetly) to hurt the other team. He would say things like "next time you have one of their shooters close to you like that you have to take him out" and "if you have one of their guys flying over you to get a rebound you had better undercut him" and "if he is ever that close to you again swing your elbow and break his jaw". Now he was saying more to his kids, but these were the things that I/we heard as officials? Have you ever heard a coach say such things and if so, did you do something about it? Would you consider the words of a coach to his players unsportsmanlike? There was a ton wrong with what he was saying, but what would you have done about it if anything? I am pretty sure I will write a letter to the principal of the school. I am still dumbfounded by that coach.