The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Luv4Asian8 Send a message via Yahoo to Luv4Asian8
Smile

As opposed to and a stark difference to my "first official game ever" thread, I worked a youth league last Sunday that I absolutely loved. Worked with kids I think between 10-14 years old. Since we are "teachers" in this game, I got to TEACH a lot of kids about basketball (one fav example, for a 3-sec V, a kid sleeps thru my 2 warnings "blue, get out of the key," then calling it after 5-6s, and on the way back upcourt, whispering to that player 'keep moving, k?' and he replies back, 'thanks ref, i'll remember next time' with a smile, np after that). No griefs from the coaches (who actually coached the team) or fans (who actually supported their team).

This 'no stress' environment (maybe) gave me an opportunity to teach a lot of things to myself as well! Working here on kicking the bad habits picked up during the recball league over the summer, had a great partner that did a great pregame with the captains (which I hope to incorporate myself), seeing what fouls are good calls and no-calls, and of course, watching OFF-BALL.

One more great experince I had were the fans. Y'know how these kinds of leagues the bleachers are filled with moms, dads, etc. of kids in the game. So they cheer on a play on our way upcourt and when I make a call downcourt(even obvious), they Boo me...not yelling at me, but you can actually hear the word "Boo!" (something I haven't heard in a long time). Was a great feeling, so I just smiled and continued the game

Anyway, just wanted to share a great experince for a novice coming up.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Luv4Asian8
... and he replies back, 'thanks ref, i'll remember next time' with a smile, np after that). No griefs from the coaches (who actually coached the team) or fans (who actually supported their team).
If someone had told us you'd died, and gone to heaven, we'd have sent flowers!