The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Filled in at a rec league this evening to help out a friend. Wow, feels very cool to be the last minute fill in person, and not the desperate-for-any-games person.

Okay, anyway, I did three games, 7 and 8 grade girls. T'd coaches in two of the games. No warnings, just T's. Both times totally appropriate, both times they made the game better. This last one, I'm standing during a time out, listening to parents critize the T just loud enough for me to hear.

I felt downright smug. The thing that earned it was this coach constantly complaining about travelling, and double dribble. Most of the time she was wrong, but even when she wasn't, they were good no-calls. She started from the jump with the constant stream of criticism, in a loud shrill voice that never leads anywhere good. Her players were extremely talented and disciplined and it was obvious she'd "been around". I acknowledged that I'd heard her, I said thank you a couple of times, and then about four minutes into the game, WHACK!! But there were no more travels by either team the rest of the game. NONE. So she got what she wanted at absolutely no cost, since the opponent missed both shots and got the ball stolen off the inbound. Her team ended up winning by 30 or so. Best T I ever threw, and the parents criticize. Just goes to show...
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 02:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Juulie - and this was the same night you did the rec jamboree games for me in the afternoon? You need to get a life.

BTW - I'm sure you'd agree that doing the rec league in my town is a welcome relief from all the grief you usually get. As far as I know, we did a total of 70 "mini" games (each "mini" game equal to half a regular game) on 5 courts yesterday and there wasn't a single T - not even an incident.

Of course, I haven't spoken with you about your games yet.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2003, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

First time I go to report a foul I tell the coach "that's enough!" and if it continues I ring them up. Pre-game coaches meeting I tell them to "coach the kids and not us and please stay in your box!"