The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

NF
I'm curious how everyone calls closely guarded counts when the player is dribbling. Do you always count the 5 seconds, or are there times when you don't? Usually I don't count it when the player is moving around or trying to do some sort of play. I know what the rule says, I'm just curious how everyone calls it.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 12:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

I call it as directed in the rule book. Everywhere I've lived -- at the higher levels if you don't count you will have problems.

Why not call it like it is intended?

Rich
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Call it!

Quote:
Originally posted by LukeZ
NF
I'm curious how everyone calls closely guarded counts when the player is dribbling. Do you always count the 5 seconds, or are there times when you don't? Usually I don't count it when the player is moving around or trying to do some sort of play. I know what the rule says, I'm just curious how everyone calls it.
It's a rule. Call it. If you don't then you're going to continue to get in trouble when you call with guys who do.

Coaches will wonder why there's a count on one end and not a count on the other.

Coaches do know and see if you are counting.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 08:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Call it how it's written. If NF wanted us to stop counting when the player's legs were moving, it would say so. You'll catch He!! from the coach if he sees you drop your count when you shouldn't.
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 09:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Handling closely-guarded well is one of the things coaches look for in officials, I think. It is also one of the things I notice when I watch other officials -- if the official is starting the count, switching arms properly, etc.

Let me ask you a question -- if we weren't supposed to count when a players legs were moving, why then is there a 5-second dribble count?

I've had 2 5-second violations this season. It's a reward for good defense. Especially without a shot clock, we need to be ever vigilant on this rule.

Rich
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Rules are rules, whether we like them or not. If we, as individuals, start deciding which rules to call and which to not call we have anarchy.