The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Did my first upper level rec game last night, not as a ref but as a time-keeper. Had to figure out this high-tech scoreboard controller and tutor the score-keeper on how to do a score sheet at the same time. Goofed up the possession arrow at the beginning of the game (pointed toward the bench and not the basket) but I got it now.

The game was worked by "M" whom I've worked games with before and enjoy doing so. The other official "D" is my assignor whom I've never seen work. "D" does rec, HS, & college. He also signs my ref's paychecks. "M" and "D" seem to be chums.

Very good game overall. However, on the only PC foul of the game (called by "M") he runs by the table and says this doesn't count as a team foul. At that moment I felt something amiss but the game went on.

When I got home, straight to the rule book:

4-8-2: Player control fouls and technical fouls are counted as team fouls to reach the bonus. When a tech...

2 Questions

1. What gives on 4-8-2? Team foul? Shooting or non? After bonus or double is reached?

2. I can e-mail "D" and go over the whole situation with him.

Please advise me on how to handle that conversation, to show "D" how smart I am , but not TOO smart.

Sorry, that's more like 5 questions.

Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Did my first upper level rec game last night, not as a ref but as a time-keeper. Had to figure out this high-tech scoreboard controller and tutor the score-keeper on how to do a score sheet at the same time. Goofed up the possession arrow at the beginning of the game (pointed toward the bench and not the basket) but I got it now.

The game was worked by "M" whom I've worked games with before and enjoy doing so. The other official "D" is my assignor whom I've never seen work. "D" does rec, HS, & college. He also signs my ref's paychecks. "M" and "D" seem to be chums.

Very good game overall. However, on the only PC foul of the game (called by "M") he runs by the table and says this doesn't count as a team foul. At that moment I felt something amiss but the game went on.

When I got home, straight to the rule book:

4-8-2: Player control fouls and technical fouls are counted as team fouls to reach the bonus. When a tech...

2 Questions

1. What gives on 4-8-2? Team foul? Shooting or non? After bonus or double is reached?

2. I can e-mail "D" and go over the whole situation with him.

Please advise me on how to handle that conversation, to show "D" how smart I am , but not TOO smart.

Sorry, that's more like 5 questions.

PC fouls are personal fouls (they count against the five fouls a player may commit before being excused from the remainder of the contest). All fouls count against the team total for determining whether the opposition shoots the bonus. No FTs for a PC foul, no matter how many other fouls the team has committed.

Phrase the correction to "D" as a question -- "Was that a league-specific rule, or something? because I was always taught that the foul *did* count toward the team total. That seems to be confirmed by 4-8-2. Am I misreading the rule?"

Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
However, on the only PC foul of the game (called by "M") he runs by the table and says this doesn't count as a team foul.
You were right, and I would handle the situation exactly as Bob advises. "M" may have been thinking about NBA rules, in which offensive fouls do not count toward the bonus. (I'm trying to be generous )