The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flagrant foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11029-flagrant-foul.html)

oc Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:45pm

Where is the ball put in play for a flagrant foul? (personal-not a T)

NCAA-division line
NF-I can't find it in the book. Division line or POI like an intentional foul? Where is it in the book?

Thanks

LukeZ Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:19am

NF 7-5-11
After an intentional personal foul or flagrant personal foul, ... make the throw-in from the OOB spot nearest the violation.

David B Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:23am

it depends

I looked it up and the intentional and personal flagrant are the same, its at the spot nearest the foul

but, there are not many things a player can do that is flagrant that is not a T.

Did you disqualify the player also since it was flagrant?

Thanks
David

oc Wed Dec 03, 2003 01:31am

Re: it depends

Quote:

Originally posted by David B

I looked it up and the intentional and personal flagrant are the same, its at the spot nearest the foul

but, there are not many things a player can do that is flagrant that is not a T.

Thanks
David

It was a test question. I got it wrong because I thought the ball was put at spot nearest foul-which I guess is correct under NF. But the test used NCAA rules and the answer is at the division line.

rcwilco Wed Dec 03, 2003 02:26am

As I understand it. A flagrant foul is violent, savage, vulgar, abusive. NF 4-19-4, 4-18. If the contact is during live ball then it is a personal flagrant and throw in is at spot of foul. If it is during a dead ball then it is a flagrant technical and throw in is at divison line. NF 7-5-8 and 7-5-11.
If the ball is live there are all kinds of things that a player can do that would be flagrant, hitting in the face with an elbow, taking a swing, etc. the same as when it is dead.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 03, 2003 08:42am

Re: Re: it depends

Quote:

Originally posted by oc
Quote:

Originally posted by David B

Thanks
David

It was a test question. I got it wrong because I thought the ball was put at spot nearest foul-which I guess is correct under NF. But the test used NCAA rules and the answer is at the division line.

I don't think you got it wrong.

For both NCAA M and NCAA W, the throw-in for a Flagrant P is at the spot nearest the foul.

For NCAA M, the throw0in for a flagant T is at the division line. For NCAA W, the throw-in for a flagrant T is at the spot nearest the foul. See 7-5.10 and 7-5.11

ChuckElias Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:35am

I agree with Bob. Even in NCAA, you put the ball back in at the spot closest to where the foul occured. See NCAA 10-23-2-b(2) and 10-23-2-b(2a). That's in the PENALTY section for personal fouls. Spot of the foul, not midcourt.

oc Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:30pm

Just to bring closure to this thread--
I got an email saying that the answer sheet was wrong for this question. As you guys said-spot of the foul.

canuckrefguy Tue Dec 09, 2003 01:08am

OC and Chuck are correct....in NCAA, there's only a couple situations now where the throw-in goes to the division line - flagrant technical and intentional technical