The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   REF GEAR (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10960-ref-gear.html)

PAT THE REF Tue Nov 25, 2003 06:46pm

Does anyone know some websites where i can get reasonably priced referee gear? Like jersey's, whistles etc...?

Also what is the best kind of whistle to get? Acme? Fox40?

Please post your answers..... Thanks -

BktBallRef Tue Nov 25, 2003 07:03pm

Please, no ACME's!

http://honigs.com/

http://www.purchaseofficials.com/

http://www.pluspos.com/

http://www.dddofficialswear.com/

huskyz Tue Nov 25, 2003 07:54pm

I prefer Honigs.

Fox 40 all the way...I prefer the mini.

PAT THE REF Tue Nov 25, 2003 09:01pm

What is the problem w. the Acme Thunder? I have never heard the Fox40 but what does it sound like?>

canuckrefguy Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:20pm

Buy one of each, and try them out. You will understand the difference, and why we don't use the Acme anymore.

Larks Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:38pm

For me...Fox 40 and Honnigs.

Ca$ey Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:32pm

PLEASE GOD NO ACMES!!!

oh in my opinion, Honig's the best equipment, especially pants.

-$

PAT THE REF Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:12am

ok. I bought both and they should be here in about 5 days. I own a ACME & also a plastic one from the Sports Authority but i wanted the real deal. I also bought a Fox40 Mini. Ill keep u posted. Thanks all

JRutledge Wed Nov 26, 2003 01:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by PAT THE REF
What is the problem w. the Acme Thunder? I have never heard the Fox40 but what does it sound like?>
I do not know of any official that does not have a Fox 40 for basketball. You would like to have your whistles sound basically the same, and I have been told that the Acme whistles have a little different tone.

But I do not buy pants from Honig, I think the Sansabelt pants are by for the best. Honigs makes their own pants, and I have heard complaits about them. But if it is football equipment, no one but Honigs is the only place I go.

Peace

dblref Wed Nov 26, 2003 09:40am

Fox40 all the way.

Rut: Haven't heard this about Honig's pants. I bought 3 pair a couple of years ago (pleated and are you ready?-beltless!) They really wear well and IMHO, are very comfortable.

OldCoachNewRef Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:01am

PAT THE REF, I am a first year official in New Jersey. Here we must take a 12 week class before we can ref any independent, MS, Frosh (if we are good we may get some JV that first year). We must take another 12 week class our second year and then take the NFHS test at the end of that to get certified. During the class tests are given and we must get at least an avg test score of 80 to continue. In class a lot of what you are asking is covered (I knew about the Fox40 and VNeck during my interview even before the first class!). I am just wondering what you have gone through to become a ref. (You sound very young and unknowledgable about reffing in general). I am in no way putting you down, just curious.

PAT THE REF Wed Nov 26, 2003 03:25pm

Ok. I am 16 years old and have reffed only 1 season of basketball. For my recreational leagues in town i am the umpire in chief for baseball *(since i was 11 - 5 years!) The leagues wanted me to referee basketball in the Winter and i agreed. I have seen horror stories and have seen the best/worst of it all.

ace Wed Nov 26, 2003 06:14pm

"I have seen horror stories and have seen the best/worst of it all."

Yeah thas what I thought too, and then I called this middle school game the other night for another official who couldnt make it intime from her varsity game.... yeah... you'll see worst, and you'll see better. 8th grade game.. DUNK! pretty cool. basketball is a different breed than baseball... Spend time on one before moving to another. I went from basketball to baseball after 3 years. If I add another sport to officiate it will probably be volleyball or football. And I'll wait atleast 3 years before I try and do that. But my main focus is basketball. I think coming from baseball you'd have a hard time going to basketball I may be wrong. Recreation leagues dont usualy care too much about what you wear. A league I called in last year (which im not returning to) only asked that u wore a striped shirt of some sort and had a whistle with black shorts or pants. After that it didnt matter. Baseball they were really adimant about but thats because its another set of commishoners for that. Good luck to you. And something I've learnend for fact this yeari s what when you move up you havn't arrived(even if you were asked). You've just gotten there. My thinking is much more humble than it was before the season started. You'll meet alot of people who could careless about your previous experince with another sport. I know.... I had a football referee who coaches basketball tell me all kinds of things the ohter night. I shrugged it off because A)He's not really a football official (thank goodness for chapter websites) and B) The stuff he said was only stuff that his players were doing. Basketball coaches are closer to you than in baseball and you have to learn to take alot more. Ilet so many baseball coaches get away with comments this past season becuase I'm used to takeing the constant abuse... I was told my coach discipline/ejection count was too little for the number of times coaches were called into the comish's office saturday morning about thier behavior only becasue my co-umpire reported it. The most part importnat thing in basketball - is being in the right position - watching your primary, and that it is not the NBA. The NBA is not basketball. Its entertainment. I'd love to make it to that level though! Boy would i!

PAT THE REF Wed Nov 26, 2003 06:28pm

Thanks,

I actually enjoy both sports and i referee football sometimes if needed - my favorite has always been baseball and it comes natural to me. This is my 2nd year to basketball and its still new. As i said im only 16 but i wont read anything but rule books, i was told i was born with a "zebra skin" and a whistle around my neck. I dont take anything from anyone (esp . coaches) but i always warn, or make a mental note to overlook it - im there to ref not to listen to comments unless they have some not nice words then *tweet* Technical. However you are right, i see it all and i enjoy it. This year should be a better year.

You also right - i have my own gear for baseball, (chest prot, shinguards, mask etc.... and i have even taught other umps how to ump) (Even Adults!!!) so my love for reffing are in this order ------- 1) Baseball 5 yrs 2) basketball 2 yrs 3) Football (popwarner) when needed and my rec dept. doesnt care what the refs/umps look like as long as they & I quote "kinda know the rules" i just have a problem since i read the rules & case books verbadem that i am sometimes not sure of myself when i should apply them

The MAIN PROBLEM I HAVE WITH BASKETBALL reffing is that you can go 2 seconds a blow a whistle or once in a game. (granted that would be pathetic) But in baseball its either ball, strike, safe, out etc... Definate calls........ Im always told im a great ref cause i know what im talking about but in basketball im not sure of myself yet

Rich Wed Nov 26, 2003 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by OldCoachNewRef
PAT THE REF, I am a first year official in New Jersey. Here we must take a 12 week class before we can ref any independent, MS, Frosh (if we are good we may get some JV that first year). We must take another 12 week class our second year and then take the NFHS test at the end of that to get certified. During the class tests are given and we must get at least an avg test score of 80 to continue. In class a lot of what you are asking is covered (I knew about the Fox40 and VNeck during my interview even before the first class!). I am just wondering what you have gone through to become a ref. (You sound very young and unknowledgable about reffing in general). I am in no way putting you down, just curious.
12 weeks to work middle school games? Amazing that NJ gets any officials at all with such a requirement.