The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Punch - Unsportsmanlike conduct? Technical? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10908-punch-unsportsmanlike-conduct-technical.html)

CuriousFan Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:22am

I'm sure this have been covered before, but I couldn't find it in the topic list...

OHAA (Ohio HS Athlitic ***.) game. About one minute left in the geme, B down by 3. A1 gets the pass, B1 defends closely and as A1 tries to pass, B1 fouls attempting to make the steal. Immediately after B1 passes the ball, B1 turns and punches A1 in the stomach (grazed).

Is it a technical? When/Why wouldn't it be?

Thank you in advance for your comments

Hawks Coach Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:26am

Quote:

Originally posted by CuriousFan
I'm sure this have been covered before, but I couldn't find it in the topic list...

OHAA (Ohio HS Athlitic ***.) game. About one minute left in the geme, B down by 3. A1 gets the pass, B1 defends closely and as A1 tries to pass, B1 fouls attempting to make the steal. Immediately after B1 passes the ball, B1 turns and punches A1 in the stomach (grazed).

It is a flagrant foul, two shots and ball to the offense, offender is ejected.

bob jenkins Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:28am

Quote:

It's definitely a flagrant foul.

Whether it's a technical or a personal foul will depend on the officials reading of the book -- some say that all fighting is a T; some say that live-ball contact fouls are Personal fouls.

As a practical matter, it matters little. Either way, it's 2 shots and the ball -- only the spot of the throw-in matters.

rainmaker Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:31am

Quote:

Immediately after B1 passes the ball, B1 turns and punches A1 in the stomach (grazed).

The only reason that it might not be is if the ref didn't see it. And if A didn't immediately double up onto the floor, the ref might not. That doesn't justify a no-call, but it might explain it. Who ended up winning the game?

huskyz Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:38am

Fighting

Quote:

I would say that, if B1 obviously threw a punch at A1 it is considered fighting. This is flagrant and B1 would be ejected. A would get 2 free throws and the ball.

Obviously, you have to be sure that B was indeed throwing a punch.

Larks Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:42am

Quote:

I've been taught technicals are for dead ball situations with or without contact or non contact situations during live ball.

Flagrant personal foul. Offending player ejected. Two free throws and the ball at the spot nearest where the foul occurred.

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by huskyz
[/B]

I would say that, if B1 obviously threw a punch at A1 it is considered fighting. This is flagrant and B1 would be ejected. A would get 2 free throws and the ball.

Obviously, you have to be sure that B was indeed throwing a punch. [/B][/QUOTE]Flagrant what? Personal or technical? Same if the attempted punch didn't connect?

CuriousFan Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:50am

More details, since you asked

Sorry, I'm new and not used to the A/B's and should have read it better.

A1 gets the pass, B1 defends closely and as A1 tries to pass, B1 fouls attempting to make the steal. Immediately after **A1 passes the ball, A1 turns and punches B1** in the stomach (grazed).

If I understand right, the same result -- person who punched is called for a technical, other team gets two foul shots and the ball.

B1 fouled out on the play (5th). A1 was awarded a one and one. A won the game by two points.

Both referee's responded as if to break up a fight by running at the two players. On the video, the punch was clear and based on where the two referee's were standing (one under the basked with a clear view, one behind and to near mid-court with a clear view, A1 and B1 at the top of the key) and how they moved it is clear they saw the punch. There was no reason to move based on the foul before the punch.

A1 did not land a good punch because he had to strech to land it, but B1 confirmed that it landed and as evidenced on the video.

LSams Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:54am

Re: Fighting

If a player throws a punch, even if he/she does not land the punch, or if the player attempts to kick another player, even if the kick doesn't connect -- it is by rule considered fighting (NFHS 4-18) (NCAA 4-23). Player is ejected, two shots + ball just like everyone else says.

It is important that it's clarified as "fighting" because that will determine what the state or conference association does in regards to the penalty for the next game or games, but that's not the officials worry.

As Juulie said though -- it's got to be seen by an official -- don't guess on this one!

RookieDude Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:59am

If there is a fight in the game, it is the officials fault.

RD

ChuckElias Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:06am

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude
Please :rolleyes:

Jurassic Referee Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:07am

Quote:

A1 gets the pass, B1 defends closely and as A1 tries to pass, B1 fouls attempting to make the steal. Immediately after **A1 passes the ball, A1 turns and punches B1** in the stomach (grazed).
B1 fouled out on the play (5th). A1 was awarded a one and one. A won the game by two points.

Here's the book call:

-B1 is charged with a personal foul.
-As the ball is now dead from the personal foul,A1 is charged with a flagrant technical foul for the punch. It doesn't matter whether the punch landed or not;if A1 threw it,he's gone.
- You take the penalties in the order that they occurred. A1's substitute would shoot the 1-1 for B1's personal foul with nobody lined up along the lanes.
-Then player(s) of team B would shoot 2 free throws for A1's flagrant technical foul with nobody lined up.
-Team B now gets the ball at the division line for the throw-in.

Larks Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude

RD

That's kind of a blanket statement isnt it?

CLAY Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:50am

its only a T is you are wearing beltless pants, if you are wearing belted pants you are not smart enough to make the call.

rainmaker Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:06pm

Re: More details, since you asked

Quote:

If I understand right, the same result -- person who punched is called for a technical, other team gets two foul shots and the ball.

In what order were the shots taken? If A shot first, then B shot, and got the ball, that's correct, and it sounds like the refs got it right. From your description, only question would be whether A1 was ejected. Is that what you're asking about?