The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm curious what everyone's stance is on wearing a belt. I don't need to wear a belt, but I always have because I feel it looks better.

Thoughts?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 01:32am
We don't rent pigs

oh boy, here it comes

If you prefer to wear a belt, as I do, you should wear one, and that should be the end of it, but it isn't. Just wait, there will be more to follow on this subject, a lot of which I don't understand.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 02:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down No Belt.

We have had this discussion over the years many times. But I think wearing a belt is about like wearing a shirt with a collar on it. Or as a football official or baseball umpire you show up with adjustable hat. No one at the upper levels wear belted pants any more. They are not featured anymore in the major officiating catalogs. Not saying you cannot get them, but the beltless pants are the main sellers for basketball officials in those catalogs. It might not apply to all areas, but if you wear belted pants for a game, it is one of those signs that shows you do not pay attention to detail on many other aspects of your officiating (in my opinion and many other officials I know). Bottom line it comes down to professionalism for me.

You can find pants that fit in most cases. And if you need them adjusted, go to a tailor.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 02:39am
We don't rent pigs

Re: No Belt.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
...if you wear belted pants for a game, it is one of those signs that shows you do not pay attention to detail on many other aspects of your officiating...

This is what I was talking about. What is the basis for this statement?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 03:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Let us break it down.

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref

This is what I was talking about. What is the basis for this statement?
Because whether you want to agree with it or not, we are judged as officials by many things that have absolutely nothing to do with our officiating on the court/field. This is just one of many things that we are scrutinized by when we officiate. And it might just be how we come dressed to the game and how we treat school personnel. I do not think the pants are what make an official, but if you stand out, it can expose or reveal other things about your officiating.

Dude, it is just an opinion that I share along with many others. And whether we realize it or not, we are influenced by the things the NCAA or NBA does. Just look at the new mechanic changes.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 06:45am
Huck Finn

Sometimes you want to stand out as an official or you can get lost in the shuffle. If you can agree with that then wearing a belt makes you stand out with the opposite effect! There are just some things that an official should try to stay away from if possible. Facial hair is one and was talked about recently. To some people glasses are another one. I know a lot of guys that wear contacts, solved. Belts are another. It isn't in writing but it is just one of those things.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

I've tried it both ways and I'll stick to wearing a belt too. I've watched other officials in our area and some of the very best wear belts also. Doesn't seem to have affected their ability and if you took a poll among all the coaches, players, and fans who would know who does and who does not; and, who cares? Don't get me wrong, I think we need to be as professional as possible but most of us will never move beyond local varsity and me personaly I like the security of knowing my pants are secure.

Now, why doesn't someone bring up suspenders? I'd vote against that but there's probably someone out there who might be wearing them.

Barry
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 07:33am
Huck Finn

If you find someone that is wearing suspenders, outside of their shirt or under their shirt, please take a picture for me. That would be funny. I could keep that picture in my bag I take to games!
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 07:37am
9 times

Absolutely, never, ever a belt.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

To each his/her own. IMHO I wouldn't wear a belt.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't usually respond to Rut's posts anymore, but he is exactly right in one respect, and quite incorrect in another. He is exactly right that wearing a belt is like wearing a shirt with a collar. Both are perfectly legal to wear, according to the rulebook. You can find both in many places (although certainly not as easily as finding the "newer" fashions).

But wearing the Byron collar is "passe". It's old news, old fashions. And the perception (particularly among other officials) is that the official wearing them doesn't care enough to keep current with the rest of the officiating world.

Wearing a belt, however, is not a sign that "you do not pay attention to detail on many other aspects of your officiating". I have known a couple (but only a couple) very good college officials at the D3/D2 level who wore a belt and never made the transition to beltless pants. But what it does is that it gives the perception that you don't care to keep current. There's a big difference; although I'm sure someone will make the claim that perception is reality.

If Rut had said that wearing a belt gives the perception that you don't pay attention to detail, instead of saying that it "shows" the same, then I would agree entirely with his comments.

My $.02
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

WOW, what happened to the simple question? I find the remark about glasses offensive! I wear glasses and CANNOT wear contacts. How about the refs that have been around sence GOD was a privet... I find most to be over weight and can't get down the court. Give it up! As for the belt, to me you are wearing a uniform, like a suit if your paints calls for a belt, wear it. Like a police officer, or a army officer in his DRESS uniform, they have belts. Besides a ref should not be noticed on the court, only the players. Often I see to much "grandstanding" by those with as much shine on there shoes as they have on there hair!
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
WOW, what happened to the simple question? I find the remark about glasses offensive! I wear glasses and CANNOT wear contacts. How about the refs that have been around sence GOD was a privet... I find most to be over weight and can't get down the court. Give it up! As for the belt, to me you are wearing a uniform, like a suit if your paints calls for a belt, wear it. Like a police officer, or a army officer in his DRESS uniform, they have belts. Besides a ref should not be noticed on the court, only the players. Often I see to much "grandstanding" by those with as much shine on there shoes as they have on there hair!
In an ideal world, it wouldn't matter.

We don't live or officiate in an ideal world.

If "everyone" else wears beltless pants, and you wear belted pants, the initial impression will be that you aren't a "real" official.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 10:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Take it for what it is worth.

Just like many things I say, folks try to turn it into something bigger than what it really is. Or make my comments into a mountain out of a molehill. The reality is that there are always exceptions to any rule. But if someone wants to work in the place I live, you will be strongly encouraged to wear beltless pants. Depending on the association, you will be told to "never think about" wearing belted pants.

When we had our IACAO Clinic earlier this month, I did not see Gerry Davis Sports or Honig's have belted pants on display. I did not see them selling belts or anything that associated with belted pants. That tells me that there is a trend that is expected and that trend is put up front. Of course you can still buy belted pants and even a collared shirt in some cases, but that does not mean it is expected. No different than doing a NF game and using many known NCAA mechanics. It might not say you are a bad official, but it does say something about you. What it says can be good and sometimes it could be bad.

I am not saying this is the dark or sharing an original idea. But when I officiated lower level ball, I saw most of the varsity officials wearing beltless pants. And now that I am a varsity and college official, I can count on one hand the times I have worked in my current area that someone had belted pants on during a varsity game. Now I see them much more often at the lower levels, but that can speak for itself.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 21, 2003, 10:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
I find the remark about glasses offensive!I wear glasses and CANNOT wear contacts.

How about the refs that have been around sence GOD was a privet... I find most to be over weight and can't get down the court. Give it up!
I find your last remark to be completely offensive and demeaning! Haven't you ever seen the good,older officials working in the NCAA or NBA? Or have your prejudices blinded you?