The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Association Meetings - What did you.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10888-association-meetings-what-did-you.html)

Larks Thu Nov 20, 2003 08:22am

Ok, most of our association meetings are over. I have been elected to the board of my association for 2004 and I am looking for what you did at your meetings. What you liked. What you didnt. What you wish you would have seen / heard.

Thanks

Larks

rainmaker Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by Larks
Ok, most of our association meetings are over. I have been elected to the board of my association for 2004 and I am looking for what you did at your meetings. What you liked. What you didnt. What you wish you would have seen / heard.

Larks --

We have meetings every other week throughout the season, so we are FAR from over! Things I like to see at meetings are, a rule discussed and proper interp given, announcements about upcoming association activities, situations at particular schools discussed (such as illegal uniforms, or a coach that's having a problem), appropriate personal things brought up such as so-and-so's wife just had a baby or someone who's very ill, overall season things such as total technicals or how a new rule is working out, a little bit of humor interspersed here and there.

What I hate is game assignments being given, but I understand the need. It gets so tedious, though.

JeffRobinson Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:59pm

ENOA Meeting

At our first meeting we discussed the NFHS Part I test. Durning the season we meet every other week and discuss whatever situations may come up. Our assignor hands out games, and we generally have some sort of presentation on a topic. Pregame, How to progress as an official...etc. The meetings are very beneficial especially to some of us younger officials.

Larks Thu Nov 20, 2003 05:05pm

Wow...we are required to meet 4x preseason plus 1 state meeting.

Ohio

What time do you guys meet every other week. Geez, 3 games a week plus that would get me in trouble with the boss!

Camron Rust Thu Nov 20, 2003 06:08pm

Quote:

Ohio

What time do you guys meet every other week. Geez, 3 games a week plus that would get me in trouble with the boss!

I'm in the same association as rainmaker....

Often, games conflict with meetings. You're counted as present if you are working a game that started up to 1.5 hours before the meeting. We are required by the state association to be counted present at 6 (I think it's 6 anyway) meetings per year plus the mandatory rules clinic. Of these, there must be one in each of Dec., Jan., and Feb. In reality, I may only be present at 3-4.

johnSandlin Thu Nov 20, 2003 06:20pm

In Michigan, the associations that I belong to meet once a month, or twice a season(at the beginning and at the end).

Probably, the biggest thing I do not like about association meetings, is it turns a polictical ring for the playoff assignment nominations, and then a gripe session of a certain official doesn't get selected to go on the nomination form for playoffs.

rainmaker Thu Nov 20, 2003 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Ohio

I'm in the same association as rainmaker....

Often, games conflict with meetings. You're counted as present if you are working a game that started up to 1.5 hours before the meeting. We are required by the state association to be counted present at 6 (I think it's 6 anyway) meetings per year plus the mandatory rules clinic. Of these, there must be one in each of Dec., Jan., and Feb. In reality, I may only be present at 3-4.

And there are folks who never get to meetings, because they do games every Wednesday. The commissioner knows they don't need the rules instruction, like Camron, so he schedules them for those games.

JRutledge Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:32pm

Quote:

What you liked.
I just like the fact that we get to talk basketball. We had an association that had us talk about special situations and go over them in small groups. Then talk about them with the entire body. I thought it was interesting to hear the different opinions on how folks would handle situations.

Quote:

What you didnt.

If I go to one more meeting and the do a presentation on a rule and the presentor reads out of the rulebook one more time, I am going to SCREAM!!! I have no problem if folks want to review the rules at the meeting, but stop reading them word for word. We can read for ourselves, we need to cover the major points or the situations the rules cover that might cause problems.

Quote:

What you wish you would have seen / heard.

I would have love to have seen more information about mechanics and philosophy with newer officials. Most of my associations did not spend enough time in my opinion on what our associations should do and not do on the court. It would have been nice to see more attention paid to younger officials and address specific aspects of officiating that is not regularly taught.

Peace

rcwilco Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:54am

Here in Seattle we meet every other week. The boys association meets on sat. mornings and the gfirls on Sunday evenings. We have had two meetings and our state clinic so far.
I dislike it if someone reads from a book or just talks to us which shows me little effort or preparation. My time is valuable and it is a substanitonal drvie. We meet at a gym for the women and it is nice when they put people on the floor and teach mechanics and rules giving everyone a chance to ask questions and review.
I prefer to get the politics and misc in an email newsletter personally but not everyone has that available.
Lastly meetings that are organized, professional and out on time. Which I feel ours have been.

Tim Roden Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:55am

There are a number of things you can do at meetings. Most of the time the chapters interpreter will stand up and teach some aspect of officiating. eg. 3 man mechanics, dealing with coaches, new rules, new mechanics, etc. I have seen special guest speakers such as NCAA Div 1 officials, Sports psychologest (that was a fun one), coaches(both hs and college), State and district leaders.

rcwilco Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:56am

One thing I forgot is that the new officials meet befre the general meeting all season which is a great thing. My son just started and I know it will be helpful to him.

dblref Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:43am

We normally meet every other week during the season. You are "allowed" 2 unexcused absences, then you are fined $10 per miss. You are counted as present if you are working a game.

We have several people presenting information: President, VP (also in charge of training), interpreter, secretary, and commissioner. We discuss problem areas/schools and we sometimes have guest speakers.

Our assignments are sent to us (usually monthly) by mail. We cannot obtain any scholastic games on our own -- the association assigns all games. We have contracts with 98% of the high schools in the northern VA area. Has worked this way for years and seems to work fine.

One of our meetings is dedicated to 3-person mechanics and we do this is the gym (position, rotation, close down, etc.)

FC IC Fri Nov 21, 2003 01:14pm

In Southern California, returning officials are required to have 15 hours of instruction, pass a closed book exam and work an on-court floor test. Most of our meetings, each lasting 2.5 hours, are held prior to the start of the season with only one meeting per month during December and January. 1 hour of the time is spent in small group/classroom setting and the other hour in a general forum. About 30 minutes of each meeting is devoted to association business and announcements including assignments.

The instruction in the meetings starts with the rule changes, POE and mechanics changes and then progresses through the 10 rules. In our unit, we try to have about half of the instruction on the court using demonstrations, etc. Seldom does anyone read out of the rule book. Recognizing that about a 1/3 of our members have been working for over 20 years, I try to tailor the presentations to be informative to the rookies but entertaining enough to keep the vets awake.

A couple of tips to make your meetings go more smoothly:
1. Make sure your meeting room is prepared in advance
2. If you have over 50 members, use a microphone. A couple of years ago, our unit invested in a wireless system that has been invaluable during on-court demonstrations.
3. Be consistant in taking attendance and enforcing the policies
4. Insist that EVERYONE be seated during the general sessions and that no one including the assignor be conducting business outside.
5. Start on time and end on time.

Sorry this got so long.

refgatormaz Fri Nov 21, 2003 06:09pm

In North central Florida we meet 1-2 times per week in the preseason a month prior to the fhsaa test (and the state rules clinic). We also have 1 on court refresher (mostly for rookies) at the Rookie sensation camp. This (the meetings) proves very beneficial for veterans and rookies alike, especially the seasoned officials vying for some quality playoff games. The meetings typically last 90 minutes. We go over questions and discuss them in particular detail if needed. There is an annual business/board meeting where that stuff it discussed, but otherwise its just basketball. Our association is extensive in area, so each meeting has 3 separate locations (in different cities). All of our assigning is done through our website (or by mail if you choose to do so).
Congrats on being selected to your association's board!

maz

wedickinson Mon Nov 24, 2003 02:12pm

association meetings

first 15 minutes or so of the meeting any unusal or significant game situations that need to be discussed from anyone in the association, including youth games.

then we breakup into 2 groups, we have two officials that take our 1st/2nd year folks and have training progrm designed for new officials. The basics.

the rest of the membership we have a set program rule/mechanics where we have detailed discussion. Presently the last couple of meetigns we have been going over old classification exams in preparation for the december test.