The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   shoe polish (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10870-shoe-polish.html)

johnSandlin Tue Nov 18, 2003 02:42pm

I wanted to inquire to all of you to ask what shoe polish do you use to shine your shoes with? I have used Leather Luster in the past on two different occassions, and I am not a fan anymore because of the stickiness it has to it even after it completely dries.

I am not a big fan of the polish honigs sells either, because it does not seem to the job and hold up quite as long. And I am not a big Kiwi fan either because that stuff seems to peel.

So, I am looking for a good High Gloss liquid shoe polish that will last a long time and I will not have to apply before every game and ruin the leather of the shoes.

Any suggestions?

ChuckElias Tue Nov 18, 2003 02:52pm

John, I personally like the Kiwi "paste" shoe polish. It's not sticky, it doesn't peel, and I only apply it maybe once every other week. In between, if they need a quick shine, I'll use one of those silicon "buffer" things, if you know what I'm talking about. I'm not really sure what they're called, but I think they're made by Kiwi too.

Barry C. Morris Tue Nov 18, 2003 03:08pm

I like Griffin's shoe polish. It is a liquid that you apply with a dauber. It shines well and lasts a long time.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 18, 2003 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnSandlin
I wanted to inquire to all of you to ask what shoe polish do you use to shine your shoes with? I have used Leather Luster in the past on two different occassions, and I am not a fan anymore because of the stickiness it has to it even after it completely dries.

I am not a big fan of the polish honigs sells either, because it does not seem to the job and hold up quite as long. And I am not a big Kiwi fan either because that stuff seems to peel.

So, I am looking for a good High Gloss liquid shoe polish that will last a long time and I will not have to apply before every game and ruin the leather of the shoes.

Any suggestions?

If the Leather Lustre is sticky, that means you didn't properly prepare the shoes.

I'd guess that's true for the kiwi problem you're having as well -- or that you're applying it over something other than leather.

I forget the name of what I use, but it comes in a tub, is kind of a cream, you apply it with a sponge, no buffing needed.

DownTownTonyBrown Tue Nov 18, 2003 03:14pm

Griffin works relatively well - dollar store. That's what I use now.

The best I've ever had was Shoe Spray put out by Amway. You spray it on. It's clear and dries hard. Looks like patent leather and lasts for weeks. Used to use it for my baseball shoes too. Dust it off after the game to a great shine...

They quit making it about 5 years back... what a shame.

Bob is it called Tub Stuff? ;)

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Nov 18th, 2003 at 02:16 PM]

Indy_Ref Tue Nov 18, 2003 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Originally posted by johnSandlin
If the Leather Luster is sticky, that means you didn't properly prepare the shoes.

Absolutely correct, Bob!! I have the Leather Luster product and did NOT follow the instructions for the first application. Hence, my shoes were sticky. I had to strip off the first layer and go back to the instructions. Wha-lah...after following the procedure properly, my shoes look great! I have not touched them in 3 weeks (after 7 game/scrimmages) and they still look like I polished them yesterday!

LSams Wed Nov 19, 2003 09:02am

I'm a big fan of "Shape-Up." They sell it at POS.

Pretty easy to use, one stroke application. Gives a patent like shine. Shine lasts for quite awhile, just the occasional buff with a soft cloth.

Used it on a new pair of shoes at the beginning of last season, and then reshined the shoes just before the post-season.

The only draw back is that it only adheres to leather. If you've got any rubber or plastic on your shoe (tongue, or side of sole) it will peel off, usually leaving black flecks on your hand -- just be careful when you apply to only put it on the leather.

tomegun Wed Nov 19, 2003 09:17am

In the past I took my shoes to a guy at a repair shop. He would dye the shoe black first. If you really look at a new shoe it is dark, dark, dark, grey and dying the shoe makes a difference. Then he would use some paste polish. This sounds like a lot but it makes a big difference. If anyone is living in or been to Las Vegas they have probably run across many officials who use this guy. There is even a guy in LA that mails his shoes to Vegas to get them shined. It also allows for shoes that aren't totally black to be used.

Rick Vietti Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:50am

I also use Shape-Up on my shoes. It does a good job and they actually have multiple products depending on what your needs.

Here is their direct web site.

http://shoe-stuff.com/shapeup.htm

ref18 Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:55am

I use stuff similar to Bob's. I think its called Urad shoe cream, it cleans the shoe and gives them a good shine.

TriggerMN Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:19pm

Armor All and Pledge.

NC BBRef Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:37pm

I am a Shape Up fan. It makes the shoes look great and lasts for a couple of weeks with only touchups needed then.

johnSandlin Thu Nov 20, 2003 05:52pm

Can you get Shape-Up in Indiana somewhere from shoe repair center or local distributor?

referee930 Mon Dec 01, 2003 04:45pm

If you are having trouble with Leather Luster and you are willing to dish out the bucks, you can send you shoes to Leather Luster and they will do them for you.

AK ref SE Mon Dec 01, 2003 05:22pm

I buy this polish called "Honor Guard"