The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First year official (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/10776-first-year-official.html)

toolsoh Mon Nov 10, 2003 03:50pm

If you could give ONE piece of advice (wisdom) to a new official what would that be?
Tools in Ohio

Barry C. Morris Mon Nov 10, 2003 04:02pm

Mr. Padgett,

Could you please enlighten this inquisitive Buckeye with your sage advice?

Barry C. Morris Mon Nov 10, 2003 04:06pm

I would simply say, talk to your partners after every game asking them what you can do better. You may get conflicting advice from some. So, use what you think would work for you and throw out the rest.

Grail Mon Nov 10, 2003 04:20pm

Communicate with your partner throughout the game. It's the one comment that every parter stressed before every game my first year. As an aside, remember that communication works both ways and hopefully you can learn a lot from the communication you receive from your partner.

Bart Tyson Mon Nov 10, 2003 04:55pm

ditto what Berry says. Also, get a mentor, preferably a college official who goes to camps.

ocreferee Mon Nov 10, 2003 05:19pm

Stay informed and ask questions. The more you can learn the better. I know that I am still learning every time I walk on the floor.

Use forums like this one, experienced officials (as Bart said, find a mentor), and read publications (Referee Magazine, NFHS Quarterly, and IAABO Sportorials to name a few).

mick Mon Nov 10, 2003 05:31pm

Count the players before you administer the ball.

monkeyking Mon Nov 10, 2003 05:51pm

Try one of the suggested points from your partner on your next game. That way you are not changing your game consistency from quarter to quarter. Ask your partner to demonstrate what he/she is trying to get across to you. But do remember to only consentrate on one "New Mechanic" every game. You won't get confused as quickly, and by the way have fun! By next season you should be up on all official mechanics, rules and cituations!

canuckrefguy Mon Nov 10, 2003 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Mr. Padgett,

Could you please enlighten this inquisitive Buckeye with your sage advice?

Just leave the fishnets out of it, please...

Mark Dexter Mon Nov 10, 2003 06:26pm

Make eye contact with your partner(s) before every time you put the ball into play.

mick Mon Nov 10, 2003 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Make eye contact with your partner(s) before every time you put the ball into play.

Mark,
Good idea.
Good thought.
I think the order of words needs some reworking.
Maybe a couple more humanities electives ? ;)
mick

Mike Burns Mon Nov 10, 2003 08:34pm

A good pice of advice I received my first year was, "You are probably not as good as they say you are...and visa-versa." :)

[Edited by Mike Burns on Nov 10th, 2003 at 07:36 PM]

Hawks Coach Mon Nov 10, 2003 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Burns
A good pice of advice I received my first year was, "You are probably not as good as they say you are...and visa-versa." :)

You can use this saying beyond basketball reffing. I always use a corollary of it for the teams I coach.

We are never as good as we look when things are going great, and we are never as bad as we look when things are going badly.

dsturdy5 Mon Nov 10, 2003 08:52pm

This is my second year officiating and I have to agree with everything that has been posted. Also, as the season goes on, do not be afraid to take on a game that may be a little higher than you have been doing. I did a lot of 5th, 6th grade rec league and church league games. In Feburary I took on the local "big time" middle school travel league (kids who will be playing varsity no later than 10th grade) and the level of play made me a better official. Not to mention I worked with some officials who did a lot of high school ball and did this league for extra bucks on the side as opposed to guys who were in the same boat as me in the lower level league.

Lastly, don't take your games home with you. Do not let a missed call or a jerk coach get to you. Reflect and learn from what you go through and use forums like this for advice but do not let a game ruin your day.

Tim Roden Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:42pm

Get a mentor.