The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 07, 2000, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

The 2000-2001 Basketball season is here,And officials have so much to prepare.I'm a official who tries very hard to make sure that I carry everything I need in my game bag.Some of the items I carry are 2pants(In case the first pair rips)Pregame material,A variety of whistles,toiletries,bath robe,bath wrap,black jacket,socks(white sanitary socks,black socks,,combs,black shorts,and t-shirt.Some basic stuff 2 stripe shirts,one with a patch and one with out,towels,large zip lock bag(for wet clothing)My question to you is WHAT SHOULD YOU PACK IN YOUR GAME BAG?
Old Tue Nov 07, 2000, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
You have a very good list. I don't know if I would carry a bath robe, but to carry a towel is a good thing. My basic rule of thumb is that if I find my self needing it, I pack it the next time. One other thing I carry is my contact lense kit and spare glasses. I don't like driving at night with contacts in so I pull out the contacts after the game and put on the glasses before going home. I also carry a rule book and the association address/phone list. Partners have been know to be late so you can make a phone call from the site if you are worried. Technical foul cards so I can do my report immediately if necessary.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2000, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Besides the items listed I'll add snacks, candy, water,
spare shoe laces, schedule & mileage logbook, pen,
aspirin/tylenol/advill, inflating pin to remove air from
a hot ball & safety pins for quick repairs.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2000, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

bag items

A good list but agree that the bathrobe can go. Shoes?
I carry two pair and change shoes, socks and t-shirt/shirt at half time. Also a plastic bag for shoes keeps the polish off everything.
Old Tue Nov 07, 2000, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a trick for a great shoe bag - If you have an old pair of sweat pants, cut both legs off at the knee or about 14 inches from the bottom. I used an old pair of black sweats. Turn the legs inside out and sew up the ends that you just cut. Turn them inside back in and you have two cloth shoe bags. The elasitc in the bottom of the leg will keep the shoes tucked safely in the bags, away from your uniform, jacket, and towel.

BTW, I agree, leave the bath robe at home. But a large bath towel is a must.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Wink

In the year 2000 the up to date officials not only carries the basics, but also carries the important stuff.

8mm video camera with tri-pod (used for self evaluations)

4 inch digital TV monitor with VCR(used for those last second shots and instant replay for the scorekeepers)

cell phone w/internet access( used during the game to posting messages on the official forum discussion board)

lastly....A mp3 player( for those really slow, boring games that seem to last forever even when the whistle is in the pocket.)

Good luck in the new season

SH
keep smiling
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Wink Reply To What should you pack in your game bag?

Why do I pack a bathrobe? I have been fortunate on three different ocassions to referee basketball games at Madison Square Garden(The Worlds Most Famous Arena) And I got the idea from Patrick Ewing,I saw him and some other players after a shower use the robe to cool down in,so I gave it a try.I don't get to use it often,but when I get the chance I like to slip it on!
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
In the year 2000 the up to date officials not only carries the basics, but also carries the important stuff.

4 inch digital TV monitor with VCR(used for those last second shots and instant replay for the scorekeepers)

SH
keep smiling
I saw where we couldn't use this on the last second. Maybe a good idea in the locker room when arguing with some no nothng 20 year veteran about whether or not you made the right call.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC

SH
keep smiling
I saw where we couldn't use this on the last second. Maybe a good idea in the locker room when arguing with some no nothng 20 year veteran about whether or not you made the
right call.
Sorry Tim, i officiate NCAA mens rules and not NHFS