The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Selecting Certain Games (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1062-selecting-certain-games.html)

Love2ref4Ever Mon Nov 06, 2000 04:40pm

As a referee for 11 years this season there are certain games I don't wan't to work.I noticed that after taking a look at my up coming season I only wan't to work games that are JV,Varsity,or Adult leagues.I feel it's time for me to focus more on where I am as a official,and where I want to go.The dilema I am facing is,I don't want to seem like I am to good to work certain games,and I still want to help the asignors and friends that have helped me along the way.Should I let people know how I feel or should I just say when they call me that I am not available to work on the dates they request my services.Please understand some of the games that I am talking about,when I do the games I wish that I had not taken the assignment because each year it's getting a little bit more difficult to get up for these games!

Suppref Mon Nov 06, 2000 04:56pm

I can only suggest that you do what is right for you. I was in similar position and decided that I was going to keep Sundays free to spend with my family. That immediately kicked out the church leagues I was doing. Then I would just let the guys who helped me along the way know I was unavailable unless they were really in a bind. Then if they did call back I would tell them that I would try to get someone for them. There are usually plenty of younger officials who want to work. Ask the secretary of your board for a list of the new applicants or the newest members of your board, call them up and give them those games. No feelings hurt and less wear and tear on your legs.

Hope this helped.

have fun - - Suppref

hoopsrefBC Mon Nov 06, 2000 05:19pm

The one suggestion i can give is never turn down an assignment if you are asked to do it.

on the other hand being unavailabe certain days and letting your assigner know of that ahead of time will allow for them and you to schedule your games better. also speak to your allocator / educator on what level you should be and want to and do want to be doing.

The worst thing that can happen is that you get type casted as an official who complains about what level of game they are doing.

keep smiling
SH

JRutledge Mon Nov 06, 2000 05:50pm

Taking assignments

I must totally disagree with this one. You should never take a assignment that you do not feel you can do, for any reason. You might have a job obligation, or a family obligation. Both of those situations are much more important than doing a game of any kind. If you have a game, it is usually up to the assignor if he wants to bump you off. And some will allow you to find a replacement depending on what level. If you cannot do the game, you cannot do the game. They will respect you more for turning it down than accepting it and giving it back.

Quote:

Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
The one suggestion i can give is never turn down an assignment if you are asked to do it.

on the other hand being unavailabe certain days and letting your assigner know of that ahead of time will allow for them and you to schedule your games better. also speak to your allocator / educator on what level you should be and want to and do want to be doing.

The worst thing that can happen is that you get type casted as an official who complains about what level of game they are doing.

keep smiling
SH

Hawks Coach Tue Nov 07, 2000 12:04pm

JRut

The question was not one of a specific obligation, which I believe that HoopsrefBC addressed by saying to deal with your assigner as much as possible in advance if you have a conflict. The question posed was one of the level of games, and asking for only a certain level.

In our area, HS refs do everything from HS Varsity down to recreational middle school. The assigners appear to have a pretty good sense of the level of the ref. The more experienced refs do very few games in the younger age groups. The refs we generally get in those age groups are either less experienced or less able to run with the faster paced games. But I have had the pleasure from time to time of having some of the better HS refs do our middle school select league games. They have always brought their best to these games and ref them with the same intensity they bring to HS varsity games. As a coach, I appreciate the fact that they are up for our games and I think that our players benefit from playing in games with these officials.

That said, I understand that the schedule can probably be pretty demanding. We have a proliferation of youth sport leagues and I imagine many of you feel the pinch.

JRutledge Tue Nov 07, 2000 01:16pm

All I am saying, is that do not take an assignment that you cannot fulfill. Of course if it is something that you know well in advance, then disclose that. But if you have an open date and you cannot do a game if asked, you are better off, by not taking an assignment that you cannot do. You job might have a meeting you must attend, or your family might have an emergency. I get some of my games a year in advance, and I also work for several assigners. Things change on a daily basis. When the season starts, I do not take much unless it is worth my while or does not interfere with my current schedule (for example, doing a Saturday morning game and not having time to get to the evening game in time). I feel that it is better to turn down a last minute date as long as you tell the truth. If you are coming from out of town at 5:00pm to the airport and must go an hour and a half to get to a game at 7:00 and you feel that is cutting it close, then do not do the game. I am not able to work 7 days a week like I used to, so the 3 or 4 times a week is enough. I do have other obligations. If officiating payed enough to not work, I would, but until then, I am not going to take games I know I cannot do. Nor should you.

Glenn Lampman Tue Nov 07, 2000 03:20pm

select games

with 11 years experience you should grasp the opportunity to teach other officials, probably at the level you don't want to do anymore. Those lower levels pay game fees and deserve to have officials who want to be there. Maybe cutting back on your game total would renew your enthusiasm?Playing pick and choose with your assignor will not work to your advantage. Take the games you are given on the days you are available and work 100% at every level. Your effort will not go un-noticed!!

JRutledge Tue Nov 07, 2000 07:13pm

Re: select games

Well I am very picky. Ever since my second year, I have been very picky about where I work at and who I work for. I for the most part only do varsity, unless it is relatively close to my house. I will go just about anywhere for a varsity game unless there is something about the situation that makes it undesirable. I even do not do girls anymore (for the most part), and that just in itself cuts down on the schedule. Doing both boys and girls can be time consuming and it was just a matter of what I perfer.

Quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Lampman
with 11 years experience you should grasp the opportunity to teach other officials, probably at the level you don't want to do anymore. Those lower levels pay game fees and deserve to have officials who want to be there. Maybe cutting back on your game total would renew your enthusiasm?Playing pick and choose with your assignor will not work to your advantage. Take the games you are given on the days you are available and work 100% at every level. Your effort will not go un-noticed!!

Love2ref4Ever Wed Nov 08, 2000 08:59am

I have been so lucky to work the greatest sport in the world. Since becoming a certified official,and having the opportunity to referee games in the greatest city in the world New York City! My situation may be diffrent from some other officials around the country.1. I don't referee games for the money!2.Every year I do FREE games as a way of giving back.3.As I said,"I referee games in the greatest city in the world! So for the record no board assigns the games here in NYC,So I am not at any boards mercy!4.One of the reasons I don't work womens basketball is flat out I don't enjoy working those games,So I don't work levels that I don't enjoy.5.For the record here in NYC there is work 365 days a year and we even have plenty of midnight basketball leagues.So a official can work as much as he or she likes.And last but not least Mr.Lampman check out my name it clearly states LOVE2REF4EVER!

Tim Roden Wed Nov 08, 2000 11:08am

I may disagree with you on what is the greatest city in the world. Personally don't feel like you can be in a great city. Give me the small town where there is nothing better to do on a friday night in the middle of January than go to a HS basketball game. Other than that, I totally agree with your reasoning. This is an Advocation and we are contract laborers. We have every right to work as many games as we want at whatever level we want and you have every right to reject any game for any reason.

Glenn Lampman Wed Nov 08, 2000 02:34pm

certain games

I guess that I don't understand the process in NYC.. How do you get games (both rec and HS) if you do not go through an assignor??

Brian Watson Wed Nov 08, 2000 02:43pm

Probably like we did in Indiana, and it is the best way in my opinion. You work directly with the school or league to get games. It takes a bit more work sending letters and making calls but it is worth it. It reduces the BS factor and the old boy system in my opinion. If you lose favor with one school, you can avoid them. If you lose favor with an assignor, you're screwed.