The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 27, 2023, 02:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Comments On The 2023-24 Rules Changes ...

Comments On The 2023-24 Rules Changes

2-1-3 NOTE (NEW) — As a result of the increased use of large video boards that allow timers to utilize tablets to control the clock from anywhere in the facility and the increase in schools utilizing the shot clock, it became necessary to include language requiring the shot clock operator, if used, to sit at the scorer’s and timer’s table. Officials need to have easy access to the scorer, timer and the shot clock operator during contests.

3-4-5 — Clarifying the requirements for uniform bottoms makes it easier for coaches and athletic directors to address the individual needs of their student-athletes when ordering uniforms. Teammates must all wear like-colored uniform bottoms but may wear multiple styles. This clarification allows for an athlete to wear a skirt or pants of the same color as the athlete’s teammates without contacting the state association for a uniform accommodation.

3-5-6 — Allowing undershirts worn under visiting team jerseys to be black or the single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey will assist schools with hard to match colors easily comply with the rules. Schools can now allow teammates to wear black undershirts and avoid searching for solid shirts that match the visiting team jersey. It is important to note that all teammates wearing undershirts must wear the same solid color.

4-8-1 — Eliminating the one-and-one, shooting two free throws after a team’s fifth foul in a quarter and resetting the fouls after each quarter has the potential to provide a better flow by allowing teams that run into early foul trouble the opportunity to self-correct their style of play at the outset of both the second and fourth quarters. Second, by eliminating the one-and-one, the number of opportunities for correctable errors that result from awarding an unmerited free throw or failing to award a merited free throw are significantly reduced. Finally, the guarantee of two free throws eliminates the physical play that has often been associated with rebounding action on the first free throw.

4-36, 6-4-3, 7-5-2 thru 4, 9-1 PENALTY 3, 9-4 PENALTY, 9-5 PENALTY, 9-6 PENALTY, 9-8 PENALTY, 9-9 PENALTY, 9-12 PENALTIES 3 & 4, 9-13 PENALTY — Establishing four throw-in spots (the nearest 28-foot mark along each sideline or the nearest spot 3-feet outside the lane line on the end line) when a team gains or retains possession in its frontcourt due to a violation, a common foul prior to the bonus or any stoppage other than an out-of-bounds eliminates much of the judgment for an official about where exactly the throw-in spot should be located and allows teams to develop throw-in plays both offensively and defensively from four pre-determined locations.

7-6-6 — Allowing the official administering a throw-in to the wrong team to correct the mistake before the first dead ball after the ball becomes live unless there is a change of possession provides an appropriate amount of time to correct a mistake. Previously, the mistake had to be corrected before the ball was put into play.

9-3-3 — Establishing that a player may step out of bounds without penalty unless they are the first player to touch the ball after returning to the court or if they left the court to avoid a violation allows the game to continue without stoppage when the player’s actions did not create an advantage. When an advantage is gained by a player purposely leaving the court and being the first one to touch the ball or leaving the court to avoid a violation, an advantage is gained, and a violation has occurred.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 27, 2023 at 02:35pm.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2023, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like Color ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My take was specifically that the rule basically was not a change, it was simply a clarification and not even explained what "similar color" means. It did not say they had to share the same color ... Again, pretty much what the rule was before IMO unless they say it is more restrictive (which interpretation).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It said "like color" and we'll both have to wait until the NFHS publishes the actual rule language and interpretation to find out what "like color" means.
Quote:
I thought that I was sure what I'd do, but JRutledge, a great rules guy worth listening to, and not one to be ignored, has me questioning myself and looking forward to waiting until the NFHS publishes the actual rule language and interpretation to find out what "like color" means.
Now we know what "like color" means. And it is a rule change (NFHS but maybe not locally).

Comments: 3-4-5 — Clarifying the requirements for uniform bottoms makes it easier for coaches and athletic directors to address the individual needs of their student-athletes when ordering uniforms. Teammates must all wear like-colored uniform bottoms but may wear multiple styles. This clarification allows for an athlete to wear a skirt or pants of the same color as the athlete’s teammates without contacting the state association for a uniform accommodation.

Points of Emphasis: Uniforms: B. As has been the rule in the past, uniform bottoms do not have to match the torso of the uniform; however, with the adoption of Rule 3-4-5, uniform bottoms must be like-colored among teammates. To provide clarity, the following examples are provided:
• Teammates may wear multiple styles of uniform bottoms, which may include shorts, skirts or pants.
• The color of the uniform bottoms are not required to be the same as the uniform top; however, the bottoms must be a consistent color among teammates. The bottom style may differ for every player, but the color must be the same.
Example – A1 is wearing a white jersey and red shorts. A2 is wearing a white jersey and a red skirt. Legal, as long as the bottom is red for all five players.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 27, 2023 at 04:13pm.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2023, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

New throw-in spots. If there is a BC violation other than stepping on the division line, the throw-in spot is either the 28' ft line or 3ft from the lane line. Still have college officials who get that wrong.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2023, 03:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Throw In Spots ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If there is a BC violation other than stepping on the division line, the throw-in spot is either the 28' ft line or 3ft from the lane line.
Is the throw-in team in its frontcourt or backcourt?

Establishing four throw-in spots when a team gains … possession in its frontcourt due to a violation … other than an out-of-bounds.

If the throw-in is to be in the team's frontcourt, it shall be at either the nearest 28-foot mark along each sideline or the nearest spot 3-feet outside the lane line along the end line.

Quote:
... other than stepping on the division line,
Is stepping on the division line considered an out of bounds violation, thus closest spot?

Why would stepping on the division line be any different than any other backcourt violation (offense illegally touching the ball in their backcourt but not on the division line)?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 27, 2023 at 04:04pm.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2023, 05:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Division Line ...

Quote:
Why would stepping on the division line be any different than any other backcourt violation (offense illegally touching the ball in their backcourt but not on the division line)?
... Because the "new" division line is now part of the new team in possession's backcourt, not their frontcourt?

Old Thu Jul 27, 2023, 10:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
... Because the "new" division line is now part of the new team in possession's backcourt, not their frontcourt?

The division line is considered by rule the BC. So if you call a violation there, then the new FC you would put the ball at the 28-foot mark. Now the NCAA made clear they wanted these plays where the line was touched, to put at the division line. Before officials would rightfully so at that level put the ball at the 28-foot mark until a clear change was made. That is what it appears Raymond is addressing.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 28, 2023, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The division line is considered by rule the BC. So if you call a violation there, then the new FC you would put the ball at the 28-foot mark. Now the NCAA made clear they wanted these plays where the line was touched, to put at the division line. Before officials would rightfully so at that level put the ball at the 28-foot mark until a clear change was made. That is what it appears Raymond is addressing.

Peace
While the division line is in the backcourt for the team that stepped on it, it is also in the backcourt of the team getting the ball. So, the new offensive team is still getting that ball in their own backcourt. Thus, it stays at the line.

But, that argument is only clear if they step only on the painted line itself an not over the line. If they step entirely past the line, that does put them into the other teams frontcourt. Then, if they're half stepping on the line and half into the other team's frontcourt, the rule itself would be ambiguous. You could argue either result without an interpretation.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2023, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
New throw-in spots. If there is a BC violation other than stepping on the division line, the throw-in spot is either the 28' ft line or 3ft from the lane line. Still have college officials who get that wrong.
NCAAW is different. The throw in would be at the OOB spot nearest the violation.

Art. 2. The location of the throw-in shall be determined as follows:
a. When there is team control and the defense commits a violation of Rule
9-6 or a single personal foul in the offense's frontcourt, play will resume
with a throw-in to the offensive team at a designated spot at either the
28-foot mark or the lower defensive box mark nearest to the location of
the personal foul or violation.
b. For all other violations or personal fouls when play will resume with a
throw-in, the throw-in shall be made from the designated spot nearest to
where the violation or foul occurred.

(9-6 is "kick, first, through the basket from below")
Old Fri Jul 28, 2023, 07:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAAW is different. The throw in would be at the OOB spot nearest the violation.

Art. 2. The location of the throw-in shall be determined as follows:
a. When there is team control and the defense commits a violation of Rule
9-6 or a single personal foul in the offense's frontcourt, play will resume
with a throw-in to the offensive team at a designated spot at either the
28-foot mark or the lower defensive box mark nearest to the location of
the personal foul or violation.
b. For all other violations or personal fouls when play will resume with a
throw-in, the throw-in shall be made from the designated spot nearest to
where the violation or foul occurred.

(9-6 is "kick, first, through the basket from below")
Yep, I know (neutral observer for both Men's and Women's, so I've had to track both rule sets). I like that the NFHS is going with NCAA-Men on this one.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2023, 07:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Peace
Yeah, I was still working when they issued that interpretation. But even afterward, I've had to correct NCAA-Men's officials about their throw-in spots in games I've observed.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2023, 10:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While the division line is in the backcourt for the team that stepped on it, it is also in the backcourt of the team getting the ball. So, the new offensive team is still getting that ball in their own backcourt. Thus, it stays at the line.

But, that argument is only clear if they step only on the painted line itself an not over the line. If they step entirely past the line, that does put them into the other teams frontcourt. Then, if they're half stepping on the line and half into the other team's frontcourt, the rule itself would be ambiguous. You could argue either result without an interpretation.
I agree if you step over that is different than stepping on the line. I am just saying that the NCAA addressed this and had to clarify this rule and the application.

I think they might need to clarify this with either an interpretation or even a case play. But something tells me they might not do that this year.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 29, 2023, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

If Team A commits a BC violation in their own FC (or precisely at the division line, which is in both teams' BC) Team B will still be throwing it in from their BC, the same as last year's rule.

Only if Team A commits a BC violation in their own BC (and not at the division line) will Team B throw it in from one of the four throw-in spots.

(Knowing this forum, this is going to cause overly pedantic debates over precisely what is meant by "the spot of the violation.")
Old Sat Jul 29, 2023, 09:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBCrazy View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

If Team A commits a BC violation in their own FC (or precisely at the division line, which is in both teams' BC) Team B will still be throwing it in from their BC, the same as last year's rule.

Only if Team A commits a BC violation in their own BC (and not at the division line) will Team B throw it in from one of the four throw-in spots.

(Knowing this forum, this is going to cause overly pedantic debates over precisely what is meant by "the spot of the violation.")
NCAA men's clarified a few years ago if the back court violation is caused by Team A touching the division line, they wanted the ensuing throw in for Team B at the division line, which made it a back court throw in with implications on the shot clock.

Since the NFHS seems to be copying the NCAAM's throw-in rule, the NFHS should provide a case play or interp for clarity, IMHO.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jul 30, 2023, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
NCAA men's clarified a few years ago if the back court violation is caused by Team A touching the division line, they wanted the ensuing throw in for Team B at the division line, which made it a back court throw in with implications on the shot clock.

Since the NFHS seems to be copying the NCAAM's throw-in rule, the NFHS should provide a case play or interp for clarity, IMHO.
The fact that the shot clock is not in play (meaning a reset to 20 seconds or so) at this point, where you put the ball really is not as important for high school. It is just more about what the NF ultimately wants to do. But they have to clarify this as you stated or people will be debating this on the court. Not the place we need indecision over a throw-in spot.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 07, 2023, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

4-36, 6-4-3, 7-5-2 thru 4, 9-1 PENALTY 3, 9-4 PENALTY, 9-5 PENALTY, 9-6 PENALTY, 9-8 PENALTY, 9-9 PENALTY, 9-12 PENALTIES 3 & 4, 9-13 PENALTY — Establishing four throw-in spots (the nearest 28-foot mark along each sideline or the nearest spot 3-feet outside the lane line on the end line) when a team gains or retains possession in its frontcourt due to a violation, a common foul prior to the bonus or any stoppage other than an out-of-bounds eliminates much of the judgment for an official about where exactly the throw-in spot should be located and allows teams to develop throw-in plays both offensively and defensively from four pre-determined locations.

Offense calling a time out just over the division line will allow offense to move the ball up to the 28' mark in essence .. correct?